Societies: Performance and Drama

There is a vibrant performance life at York, whether you’re interested in dance, drama or musical theatre there’s something for everyone on campus!

Ballet Society

The York Ballet Society takes great pride at winning YUSU’s Most Developed Society Award in 2011, being in the top five advanced ballet team at the Newcastle Dance Competition and constantly receiving brilliant reviews for campus performances. The society offers weekly technique and performance classes, as well as rehearsals for the performances and competitions on and off campus. All levels and abilities and welcome!

Central Hall Musical Society (CHMS)

Well if you are keen on acting, singing, directing or just dressing up, there is no better society to be part of. The Central Hall Musical Society holds some of campus’ largest and most successful musicals. Past productions include West Side Story and Jesus Christ Superstar – the sky is the limit!

Dance Society

Obsessed with ‘So you think you can dance’ and Step Up? Whether you are a beginner or an expert in the field this is a society for you. Dance Society is a club that offers dance classes for all abilities and tastes including street, salsa, jazz and tap.

Dancesport

Fancy Cha-Cha-Cha-ing or Tango-ing? Then you found the society you were looking for. Dancesports allows its members to learn both Ballroom and Latin dances from a professional tutor during its regular practice sessions. The aim of each class is to have fun so you don’t have to worry about being a beginner or bringing a partner as during the lessons you change partners ensuring that you get to meet more people. No previous experience required!

Drama Society

Celebrating over 40 years of history and plays, DramaSoc is one of the most active student drama societies in Britain. Based in ‘The Barn’ they put different plays every week during term. Additionally they host free Open Drama Nights and have successfully taken work outside the Barn with highly successful productions at the York Royal and Edinburgh Festivals. Their aim is to ‘create diverse, interesting and exciting theatre for the University of York’. No previous experience is required!

Fusion

FUSION is the biggest performance on campus. It is an annual music, dance and fashions show which raises thousands of pounds for local charities. In recent years it has managed to be seen by over 3000 people raising over £10,000 for local charities. This professional spectacle celebrates the diverse individuals and talents of the University.

Gilbert and Sullivan Society

Gilbert and Sullivan Society is one of campus’ many performance societies, performing every spring term. If you are nervous at going to auditions, then this is a society for you as the society does not audition for the chorus parts!

Pantomime Society (PantSoc)

The Pantomime Society puts on at least two pantomimes a year most recently putting on Pantohontas. The society is open to anyone, and everyone who auditions gets a part. Their shows are big and elaborate, drawing actors of all abilities. With socials every two weeks including nights out, trips to the cinema, and even ‘Flamingoland’, there really is something for everyone.

Samba Society

A Brazilian Samba band, its members come from all colleges and all years. They are heavily involved in campus life, performing at college, YUSU, and RAG events, as well as York community events.