Societies: Faith and Religion

The University of York offers it’s students a wide range of faith and religious societies

Anglican Students’ Society (AngSoc)

AngSoc aims at exploring what it is to be part of the Church of England and the wider Anglican Community. The society enjoys meeting and discussing topics surrounding Anglicanism, usually led by a speaker who is knowledgeable in the topic under consideration. AngSoc welcomes everyone keen on Anglican faith- even if you come from a different religion and background.

Catholic Students’ Society (CaSSoc)

The Catholic Student’s Society aims at expanding their faith knowledge and strengthening their religious relationships. Each year they raise money for a chosen charity. Over the last three years they have raised over £1.500 for, amongst others; KISS- a scheme supporting some 200 children in Uganda (2013), Survival- a local charity which supports women and men who have suffered sexual abuse or rape (2012) and the Granfield Group which takes disabled and disadvantaged children and young adults to Lourdes (2010).

The Christian Union in 2012. Chris Bennigsen

Christian Union

The Christian Union in the University of York is dedicated at bring the gospel of Christ to campus and make proclaiming it boldly, clearly and truthfully. The society is split into smaller college groups- each led by a team of student member, while a small committee brings together and organizes different colleges. The CU ‘holds weekly meetings, evangelistic events such as Unite- a weekend away together, Events Week and Freshers’ Week.

Quakers on Campus

A group for anyone interested in Quakerism, its core principle of that of God in everyone, and its testimonies to peace, equality, truth and simplicity. We have no formal creed and see faith as rooted in personal experience.