Review: The Inbetweeners 2

Will, Simon, Neil and Jay are back but this sequel does not quite reach the brilliance of the original series. reviews

inbetweeners 2Director: Damon Beesley, Iain Morris
Rating: ★★★☆☆

So it’s arrived, another instalment in the renowned series about four of the biggest losers known to British television. With the cherishment of the television series and a certain fondness of the film, everyone held their breath as they wondered if the material could sustain a new chapter, especially with the problems inherent in comedy sequels. But everyone was more than ready to follow the foul-mouthed ‘friends’ as they journey across Australia in search of meaning in they’re lives. Just kidding, it’s the same we’ve all come to expect.

Tired of their boring lives a few months after their catastrophic trip to Malia Will, Simon, and Neil decide that their Easter holiday might as well be spent going to call Jay out on his bullshit who is on his apparent ‘gap year’ in Australia. Pretty basic but it was just a matter of letting it all roll out in a suitably chaotic order.

And be prepared because, thankfully, the film is more than capable of making you laugh. No spoilers but there are segments and situations that will get you suitably crying with laughter but additionally, in true blue Inbetweeners fashion scrunching up in to the foetal position from the cringe-worthy nature of the antics the lads find themselves in.

But, retrospectively, it’s hard to see if these laughs will stand the test of time. It seems very easy to say that it could easily be full of one-trick ponies. There are parts that stand out when you look back but they’re significantly weaker. And yet another part that it falls down on is the signature quotability of the series just doesn’t come through. The legendary quotes from before will still stand as the series best; there is nothing particularly new here.

Other than that it’s quite a well-made film. The sequence that introduces Jay, for example, is both hilarious and brilliantly composed. The film is really capable in these departments and is actually quite surprising in its production capabilities.

It has to be said though that, once again, the boys are consistently hilarious. Simon Bird, Joe Thomas, James Buckley, and Blake Harrison all deserve massive praise for breathing a natural element of hilarity into the characters. There is almost a seamless blend in which these actors have become synonymous with their roles here. They’ve really made the characters whole, no doubt to the irk of the American iteration of the show.

The bottom line here is that if you like The Inbetweeners, you’ll like this. It’s got what the series and prior film has. The only problem is that it might not be as sturdy as the series. But at this point it’s worth asking, were we really expecting it to exceed the series? It doesn’t, but for an hour and a half or so of the entertainment, it doesn’t fare badly either.