A basic guide to campus eateries

The University of York has an abundance of different eateries that you can visit should you want something quick and easy for lunch or a big evening meal to refuel after a hard day of studying (or sleeping) in the library.

When you’ve woken up feeling slightly worse for wear after a night out in freshers’ week, a lot of the time, all you want to do is snack on carbs and chocolate. Luckily, both Heslington West and East have a variety of different café style eateries that will satisfy your delectation.

On Heslington West, the main campus, the library café offers both hot and cold lunches ranging from baguettes and panini’s to omelettes and jacket potatoes as well as a variety of sweet snacks all day between 8:30am and 8pm. Similarly, the Roger Kirk Centre café and Costa @ Derwent both serve hot and cold meals, salads and snacks and most importantly, coffee! The café within the Roger Kirk Centre also provides a range of smoothies, fresh juices and milkshakes to get you through the day.

For something a little bit different, Alcuin Bistro serves breakfast wraps, Welsh rarebit, fish goujons as well as pizzas, burgers and salads and delicious deserts for a sweet treat between 8am and 3:30pm.

Heslington East also provides café style eateries for snacks and light bites. Situated in the Law and Management building, Caffé Society serves a range of sandwiches, cakes and sweet snacks to take away until 4pm during the week, providing the perfect stop for a quick break in between lectures.

As well as this, the Hub Café within the Ron Cooke Hub provides a simple breakfast menu between 8:30 and 11:30 and an all-day menu serving sweet and savoury pastries, cakes, Panini’s and sandwiches, jacket potatoes, salads, pizza and fresh bean coffees.

If you are looking for something more substantial and want to treat yourself to a late lunch or evening meal with your new housemates, then wherever you are, a campus restaurant is a very short walking distance.

The Glasshouse

On Heslington West, The Courtyard within Derwent College is always popular and busy during meal times and is my personal favourite place to eat and meet friends. This bar is run by the student union and provides the perfect place to meet up and study or relax over an evening meal and some drinks. Serving main meals until 8pm, the Courtyard menu consists of salads, wraps and paninis burgers, pasta and risotto, deserts and daily specials as well as a late night menu for those feeling peckish later on in the evening.

For a more intimate setting, Edge Bar in Wentworth College provides a ‘private dining’ area that you can book for dinner, which is served between 5:30 and 7:30. At Edge Bar, a variety of seasonal, traditional and international dishes are available as well as hot and cold snacks and home-made cakes.

Heslington West also has a wide variety of college catering outlets that can be visited by anyone on campus. The Galleria in the Roger Kirk Centre, the dining hall in Derwent and Vanbrugh Food Court all provide a variety of hot main meals with either soup or a desert for a very reasonable price between 5:30 and 7:30. Although probably give it a miss if you’re counting your calories – university food is extremely carbohydrate fuelled.

The Glasshouse logo

The Glasshouse is currently the only licensed social space on Heslington East. Food is served until 8pm during the week and 7pm at the weekend and provides the perfect space on this campus to relax and meet up with friends. The menu at the Glasshouse is similar to the Courtyard on Heslington West and it serves a range of salads, wraps and paninis, pasta and risottos, deserts, light bites and daily specials.

So, whether you are just feeling a bit peckish or want to treat yourself to eating out, there are a variety of places to be visited that serve good quality food. Most importantly, at a very reasonable price!

For the full menus and a list of prices, visit the ‘eating and drinking’ section of the university website.

Happy eating!