Langwith College

langwith logo

Langwith combines modern accommodation with a strong community spirit and a strong events calendar throughout the year. With the addition of the newly built Constantine college on Heslington East, and the fantastic facilities at the York sports village, Langwith has a lot to offer.

The boring but important stuff

Premium En-suite: 40 week let, £131 per week
Premium Standard: 40 week let, £124 per week
Studio: 40 week let, £157 per week

Food: self-catered only

Nearest departments: Law and Management, TFTV and Computer Science

What made you choose your college in the first place?

Well, I actually had no choice in what college I joined. I came to York through the UCAS Clearing process and Langwith was pretty much where all Clearing students went. In fact, I was one of the off-campus freshers in September, living in Fifth Avenue, two miles out from the College.

What are the rooms like?

I was lucky enough to be offered a room on-campus after a few weeks of being here in the Autumn. The rooms in Langwith literally are the best at the University (well, technically Constantine are now but, pfft, whatevs’). The College is made up of four courts/ ten blocks. The majority of the rooms are Premium En-suite, but four of the blocks are Premium Standard, made up in houses of 6-8. The two types are basically the same, but Standard just doesn’t have an en-suite, and shares a bathroom with two to three other rooms. One court also comprises of several Studio apartments.

I lived in Sydney Smith A, the largest block in the College. Comprising of over ten flats, I lived with eleven others on the second floor. All flats/ houses around the College have between 6–12 rooms, and share a kitchen.

To be honest I was a bit hesitant at the idea of living in a flat of twelve. But I can assure you the kitchens can easily cope and, in my case at least, your flat becomes a lovely microcosm, of sorts, of the University, filled with different sorts of people, all doing different courses.

Are you happy with where it is on campus?

One of the great myths about living on Heslington East is that you feel secluded away from the ‘main’ campus. I’ll agree there aren’t that many departments over here, so it’s likely that you’ll be making your way over to Hes West almost every day. But, especially in Langwith’s case, you’ll feel right at home in the College.

As a Politics student, I didn’t find any problems with getting the bus, cycling or walking between the two campuses. I could get the 44 from the Ron Cooke Hub at 09:51 and make it to my lecture all the way in James before 10:05. Added, Hes East is a truly beautiful location to live, surrounded by nature and an amazing lake. For me, the new campus is where it’s at! However sparse some say, we’ve got a bar, great surroundings and, from September, there’ll be over two thousand students living in three colleges.

I should say though, in the interests of fairness, whilst the prospect of getting a shop or health-centre seems very credible it’s true that the campus doesn’t have either at this stage.

Would you say it’s good value for money?

Whilst I can say I had an amazing time, made great friends and loved what experiences Langwith offered students, in terms of how much you’re paying, I will be strictly honest, no. It’s really quite expensive. It IS affordable, and I would stress not to be put off by the cost. After all, everyone will tell you that you want to make sure you get the best experience out of your first-year. However, there’s no hiding the fact that it’s pretty much the most expensive single room at the University.

Are there any things you wish the prospectus told you before you picked?

‘York doesn’t actually give on-campus places to clearing students’. Because that’s what it did say and that didn’t happen!

Joking aside, as a big supporter of the collegiate system I don’t think the prospectus gave even slightly enough space to information about the Colleges. Langwith has an amazing college spirit, yet I had no idea of that until I got here. I’ve always thought that so many people could be better suited to a certain college, like Halifax if you’re sporty, or Vanbrugh if you’re musical, yet the prospectus, at best, treated the Colleges like glorified halls of residence.

Anything that’s been great that the prospectus didn’t even mention?

Events the College runs! Langwith has regular formal balls, lollops throughout Yorkshire and a great mentoring scheme for first-years. If not events, I didn’t know anything about the College’s history or its ethos; its unrivalled college spirit and community. I knew none of this until I got here on Arrivals Weekend!

Any tips for new freshers?

1. Budget: Student finance can seem daunting to get a grip of, but as long as you set yourself a weekly target and potentially aim to know that you have some left by the end of each week, you can get involved in as many things as you want to.

2. #Getinvolved: Langwith’s Fresher’s Week message was ‘#Getinvolved’. As cheesy as it was, I guess it’s probably a good motto to work with as a student. Anyone who has lived first-year will always tell you to get involved. Find out what you love and just do it. That way you’ll make the right friends and get experience that could end up taking you anywhere. Whilst there’s always the ‘I want to take it easy in first-year’ line, there’s a reason you only have to pass in first-year. It’s because the Uni expects you to be doing a lot more stuff in societies and clubs around campus. Nowadays it’s not enough to just get a degree. Get out there and be good at something, like a sport, or journalism, or stand for election on one of the College JCR/CSAs like I did. You’ll never know where it takes you!

3. Be yourself, but always have direction: I will always be the first to say that you should be yourself. Never be someone you don’t want to be. But going to university in the first place is about working towards long-term goals. Like I said, university is about finding out what you want to do and what you’re good at, and running with it. Try to give yourself long-term goals. Work out who you want to be five years down the line. You rarely get there through huge leaps. All it takes is small steps. In three years, you will only be proud of what you’ve achieved.

4. Misc: There isn’t insurance as part of the accommodation contract! Some people, unfortunately, learnt that the hard way. Always get insurance.

DUCKS CAN BE MEAN. I mean, don’t even bother getting out your sandwiches. There’s a reason why I started buying wraps instead.

Do try and cook proper food! I tried to cook recipes designed for four and eat it over four days. You only have to cook twice a week then.

If you can afford not to get a job, don’t get a job! Use this time to better yourself, work hard and, obviously, have fun!!

The opinions expressed in the college guide articles are those of the writers