Police investigate The Acomb pub

The investigation is reportedly connected to the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence

The police have reportedly arrested two people during an investigation at The Acomb pub in York which is rumoured to be related to the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence, who was last seen on CCTV on 18 March 2009.

acomb

The connection between today’s investigation and the Claudia Lawrence case, has not yet been officially confirmed by police, but Lawrence, who worked as a chef at the University of York, reportedly met a friend in the pub during the weeks before she went missing. At the time, Paul Harris, the pub’s landlord, said that the police had visited the place to make enquiries.

About eight police vehicles have been at the scene since approximately 8am this morning, including a van from Durham Police, although most of the police that have been spotted are from North Yorkshire Police. Officers have entered the pub with dogs and hammer equipment.

A local resident, Martin Hill, 54, told York Press: “I have lived here for 13 years and you get the occasional noisy night, but there’s never been any major trouble in the pub. I have never seen this much activity outside the pub before so it was quite surprising.”

Sheila Overall, 54, was also surprised by the police’s arrival, saying: “We get a lot of police around this area and there’s usually something going off down the street, but I didn’t expect this. When you see police about you think it must be serious.”

In May, 59-year-old Michael Snelling, a former employee of the University of York, was arrested on suspicion of murder by police investigating the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence. He was rebailed the following month.

Nouse are currently waiting for an official statement from the North Yorkshire Police. The only police comment so far has been a tweet from York West Police team saying: “We are dealing with an ongoing incident at the Acomb Hotel, Kingsway West. Updates will follow when we can.”