Claudia Lawrence police arrest man on suspicion of perverting the course of justice

The 46-year-old man is currently being interviewed in custody

Police investigating the disappearance of Claudia Lawrence, who worked as a chef at the University of York, have arrested a 46-year-old man on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.
Acomb 2

The news comes after approximately eight police vehicles were spotted at The Acomb pub from around 8am this morning. Lawrence reportedly had a drink with a friend in the pub in the weeks leading up to her disappearance, with analysis of her mobile phone suggesting she was in the Acomb area during that time

The arrested man is currently being interviewed in custody while searches and forensic enquiries continue at the pub, which has been cordoned off.

A number of items were removed The Acomb at approximately 3.25pm and pneumatic drilling was heard coming from the building just after 6pm this evening, although most of the officers had left the pub by 5.25pm. The Coral bookmakers next door was also searched.

Martin Dales, spokesman for Peter Lawrence, Claudia Lawrence’s father, released a statement this afternoon saying: “Peter remains very grateful for all the hard work that North Yorkshire Police are continuing to put in to finding Claudia.

“It is to be hoped that this is another vital piece in the jigsaw of information that needs to come in to the police: it is much better if people volunteer information than wasting valuable police time in them having to find it out for themselves and then come looking for people.”

Anyone with information relating to the case is urged to phone police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.The £10,000 Crimestoppers reward for anyone who provides information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the people responsible for Lawrence’s disappearance is still available.