Album Review: Morrissey – World Peace Is None Of Your Business

Long-time Morrissey fan, , gives us the lowdown on his latest release

morrissey

The melancholy Mancunian himself, Morrissey, has returned onto the scene with a new album after 5 years in the waiting, ‘World Peace Is None Of Your Business’. Ex-Smith’s frontman has a lot to live up to in his 10th studio album, and the title itself showcases the Morrissey we all know and love, or hate for some, back and as brilliantly bold as ever.

Just reading through the album tracklist, ‘Kick The Bride Down The Aisle’ and the gleeful ‘The Bullfighters Dies’ display his usual misanthropic tendencies. He hasn’t lost any of his strong opinions in this album, whether this be protesting animal cruelty or the political statement of the title track. I suppose it would be daft to expect anything less.

He still has his sardonic trademark lyrics and wonderfully unique operatic vocals, but what particularly stands out is the Spanish bursts that flit in and out of the album, and the glorious musical flourishes in many of the songs. There just seems to be something more musically fun to this album, likely influenced from the collaboration with producer Joe Chiccarelli, who has engineered for the likes of The White Stripes and Frank Zappa.

‘Staircase At The University’ is probably my favourite. Despite being about a young woman committing suicide due to academic pressures and having her ‘head split three ways’, I was very close to just getting up to dance around the room in a pretty uncomfortable fashion. The Spanish flair is most prominent in the likes of ‘Kiss Me A Lot’, the playful, romantic sentiment of the album (particularly a fan of the castanets in this) and ‘Earth Is The Loneliest Planet’. The early single release ‘Istanbul’ is the memorably moving track. The perfect storytelling of a father tragically losing his son is destined to capture the attention of, and even add to, his enormous fanbase.

Overall, the album caught me off guard, living up to my high expectations after a couple of plays, but on each listen it seems to get better and better. This album is not his best, but it is still excellent with plenty of variety to keep it interesting. Despite a more exploratory nature, it is very Morrissey, and if you like things that are very much Morrissey, listen to this album.