University announces list of honorary degrees

This year’s list of honorary doctorates includes two Nobel Laureates

Two Nobel Laureates, a musician and the Chief Executive of the British Library, are among sixteen people who will receive an honorary degree from the University of York.

The University is set to award sixteen honorary degrees this year in its annual granting of doctorates. Those who are to be honoured include distinguished individuals who have made a ‘significant contribution to society’ and were nominated by members of the University, with many having links to departments within the University.

Professor Mike Kelly, a medical sociologist who now works at The University of Cambridge, is a former York alumni graduating from the Social Sciences department and will be joined by Nobel Laureate Ahmed Zewail in receiving the academic degree in upcoming graduation ceremonies.

In 2009, Zewail was appointed to the Council of Advisors on Science and Technology by President Obama. His other awards include the Albert Einstein World Award of Science and The Zewail City of Science and Technology was established in Egypt in his honour.

Sir James Mirrlees, who was knighted for his contribution to economic science in 1997, will be presented his honorary degree by Professor Jo Swaffield from the Department of Economics at Ceremony Six. Professor Mirrlees has taught at prestigious academic institutions in both the UK and USA, including the universities of Oxford, Cambridge, Yale and MIT. He is also a recipient of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Science.

The graduation ceremonies will take place on 16, 17 and 18 July at Central Hall and will award author Marie MacInnes, musician Hugh Masekela, humanitarian Zainab Salbi and other distinguished guests with honorary doctorates.

Past recipients of honorary degrees from York include John Sentamu, the Archbishops of York, Lord Dholakia, Deputy Leader of the Liberal Democrats, and John Witherow, York alumnus and editor of The Times.