A deflating summer of sport

After two years of sustained success, British sport is in a rut again. looks back on a diabolical 2014 and assesses where everything has gone wrong

Image: Carine06

Image: Carine06

My Nouse colleague Beth wrote a piece in our final edition last term highlighting all the great sport that was on offer to us Brits over the course of the summer. My job in this article is to highlight how it has all gone wrong.

I had a feeling that this summer of sport would be disappointing for us Brits. Not least because there was a football tournament taking place. But also because two great summers of sport, full of British success, had taken place beforehand.

In 2012, we hosted a very successful Olympic Games, highlights including ‘Super Saturday’ and Andy Murray’s gold medal. Wiggo won Le Tour, the England cricket team officially became the world’s number one Test team and even the England football team were not complete failures, managing to reach the quarter finals of the European Championships.

With all that success, you might have expected some sort of come down the following summer from our sporting high. In truth, 2013 was just as successful. Another Brit, this time Chris Froome, won Le Tour; Andy Murray ended the long 77 year wait to become the new male British champion of Wimbledon; the cricket team brushed the Aussies aside in the Ashes; the Lions won Down Under and we didn’t have to put up with the England football team crashing out of a tournament!

Therefore, as a result of all this success, I was confident that Britain would fail spectacularly this year. So I wasn’t in the least bit surprised to see us come down from our incredible sporting high this year. The omens were all there, not least, the cricket team’s spectacular failure to retain the Ashes in Australia, coming home on the back of being given an almighty hiding by the Aussies.

This summer however, has been terrible. I’ll mention the football now, if only to get it out of the way. I was one of the “sceptics” that believed England wouldn’t get out of the group stages. But boy, didn’t they do us proud? One point! One solitary point! I had little faith going into the tournament, but somehow, in the games against Italy and Uruguay I started to once again hold some faith in our lads when they had managed to equalise. Only to see that faith crushed by Messrs Balotelli and a teething Suarez, all in all, business as usual for the football team.

The cricket hasn’t been much better. England could have so easily won those two Test matches against Sri Lanka, only for the Sri Lankans to win the series in the last over, leaving the England players, who were desperately holding on for a draw, with that familiar bitter taste of defeat in their mouths.

In the rugby, England put up a sterling fight against New Zealand, only to lose the series after being defeated 28-27 by the Kiwis, before eventually having their arses handed to them in the final Test. Here’s hoping they grab a win in the autumn internationals!

As for the tennis, Murray hadn’t dropped a set in Wimbledon, then the quarter finals came. I should have known he would have crashed out when my Mum uttered the tainted words before his quarter final against Grigor Dimitrov, “I think he can win it again you know!” Alas, Murray failed to win, with Novak Joker-vitch (for all you John McEnroe fans) eventually sealing his second Wimbledon title after a classic encounter with Roger Federer.

Fear not, there is still hope. Lewis Hamilton has just won the Silverstone Grand Prix as I write this and there is still a chance that he can clinch his second Formula One Drivers Championship. The cricketers have a chance to redeem themselves in a five match Test series against India, with the first Test starting on July 9th.

Chris Froome and Team Sky have just set off in Le Tour, hoping to retain the title he won last year. This year, us lot up in Yorkshire got a glimpse of the action and despite Froome failing to win a stage on home soil, he is well placed as the Le Tour returns home to French soil. Or at least he was, until he retired through injury while Bradley Wiggins sat at home.

The Commonwealth Games in Glasgow may be an opportunity for a little bit of faith restoration in British sport. Our heroes from London 2012 will be looking to win even more medals and help us forget about the football! Speaking of which, the World Cup is still going on, so hopefully we can all enjoy the remainder of Rio 2014 whilst we can. I’m hoping that Argentina win so I can bag some money in my sweepstake to make up for the pain England have caused me.

However, if you want my predictions for the remainder of this summer of sport, Rosberg will win, England’s cricketers will lose 5-0, Froome will fail miserably and we’ll disappoint in Glasgow.

Happy summer of sport everyone!