Cassandra Brown elected BUCS Student Director

Cassandra Brown, York Sport President, received the most votes in this year’s elections

Cassandra Brown, York Sport President, was today elected British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) Student Director after winning the most votes in this year’s Student Officer elections.
CassBrownPIC

The remaining three Student Officer positions were claimed by Molly Browne, from the University of Birmingham, Ben Jessup, from the University of Bath, and Liam Jackson, from King’s College London.

In total, six nominations were made for the four available positions, with elections taking place during this year’s BUCS Conference, which is currently being held at Swansea University. The candidate who receives the most votes is elected to the Board and acts as Student Director.

During hustings for the position, which took place on Wednesday, Brown stressed the importance of acknowledging participation as well as performance in the BUCS rankings, saying she wanted factors such as diversity, accessibility and inclusivity to be considered too.

She also aims to improve training for Sabbatical Officers by introducing satellite training days and pledged to make it easy for other students to communicate with her by holding monthly phone or Skype calls and keeping up to date with email and social networking sites.

Brown’s nomination for BUCS Student Officer was proposed by Annie Potter, the University of York’s Sports Coordinator, and seconded by Laura Hockaday, the University of Sunderland’s Vice President: Societies and Sports.

Earlier today, Brown tweeted that she was “thrilled” to have been elected and thanked those who voted, before congratulating the other Student Officers, who she said she was “excited to work with”.

BUCS is the national governing body for Higher Education sport in the UK and aims to “enhance the student experience of sport”.