York crowned Champions of North East University Darts League

York’s men’s darts team have won the 2014 North East University Darts League after beating Sheffield 6-5 in a close-run final in James College

Darts Team 2013/14

York’s men’s darts team have won the 2014 North East University Darts League, beating Sheffield 6-5 in a close-run final at the end of June in James College, with Captain Harry Smith throwing the winning darts.

Having qualified as favourites by beating Newcastle, Sunderland, Durham and Northumbria, the York men booked their place in the final with an emphatic 10-1 victory over Hull in the semi-finals. On paper, York looked set for an easy victory, but some weak performances from their top players left captain Smith with a nail-biting deciding match to secure the trophy. After a slow start, he put in a strong performance to secure York’s victory.

York’s NEUDL win comes in the same week that Darts became the latest officially recognised York Sport Club, and in the same year that York narrowly lost out on the UK-wide title to an impressive Oxford side.

Captain Harry Smith told Nouse, “It’s been an amazing year for darts at York. Our College teams are going from strength to strength, and now we have a Regional Title to add to our National runner-up trophy. Now that we’ve moved from being a Society to an official Sports Club, I’m confident that we can take darts at York to an even higher level.”