A sensational summer of sport

As the Summer Term draws to a close, looks forward to the sporting action ahead in the coming months from the Tour de France to England Test matches

I know what you’re all thinking. It’s summer; time for long days watching cricket in the sun, drinking Pimms in the garden, enjoying the Tour de France and despairing at England’s failures at the World Cup.

That would all be possible, if it weren’t for genuinely crap weather. Instead, we’re huddled in our bleak student houses, jealously eyeing the Brazilian sun and morosely barbecuing in over cast and temperamental weather.

Maybe our predicament with the weather is because we live in the North of England; my brother smugly informed me that the sun was blazing in Southampton and he was off for a barbecue and a kick about in the park. I hung up on him.

As I write this the skies outside are overcast and muggy, and the threat of rain is imminent. So forgive me if I have a dismal outlook on the English summer. Having said this, hopefully we’ll all be enjoying the perks of the Tour de France very soon. Our cycling heroes will be returning to English soil to kick off the iconic race, with Chris Froome once again amongst the favourites.

Rumours are abound that previous tour winner Bradley Wiggins will be left out of the team thanks to a rift between him and Froome that stems back to the 2012 tour. It appears dynamic sideburns and an English twang isn’t enough for Team Sky these days.

As you huddle under your umbrella desperately stoking your languishing barbecue at least rejoice in the fact that we have an epic sporting summer ahead of us. If the Tour de France isn’t your cup of tea, then perhaps the England v India test series will whet your appetite.

It was a truly dismal winter for England fans, but the new look test team is exciting, young and bursting with talent. It’s time to get behind our beleaguered Ashes heroes, Captain Cook and his cronies will need the full support of the Barmy Army if they are to rediscover their form.

So, regardless of the English weather, there’s plenty to look forward to this summer. Pimms tastes just the same indoors. Spending our rainy summer days glued to our television sets hoping England’s rugby team can pull off a dramatic victory against the All Blacks doesn’t sound too bad to me.

But I’d much rather the bloody sun came out.