Vanbrugh Eric Milner A block allocated £160k for refurbishment

Vanbrugh Eric Milner A will soon be refurbished

ericA

The well-worn corridors of the infamous Vanbrugh accommodation block Eric Milner A have been allocated £160,000 for refurbishment by the University.

Earlier this year Nouse reported on the dilapidated state of the building and the unhappiness of its residents, with many reporting sightings of rats and silverfish.

One student stated that they also had “broken lights, broken windows, mould in their rooms, clogged drains, broken showers and broken toilets”.

Another resident commented: “The attitude seems to be ‘That’s Eric A for you, just get on with it!’ whereas if the same problems were in Barbara Scott or Donald Barron there would be a much bigger deal made about it.”

There were fears that the building, built in 1969, would be demolished along with its neighbour Eric Milner D.

The University has allocated funds for repairs to entrance ways, bathrooms, kitchens, dining rooms and a general “deep cleaning” programme. The improvements are due to be made by the start of the next academic year.

Michael Duncan, Chair of Vanbrugh College, told Nouse: “While this certainly doesn’t make up for the problems in Eric A this year, I think this is a really positive step for the future. I’m glad that the University has recognised that these older blocks need significant investment if they’re going to have students living in them for years to come.

“I’m looking forward to carrying on working closely with the university and the college to make sure that this money is spent in the best way possible for future generations of Eric A residents.

“At the same time, though, I hope the University will recognise that, if they apply for it, compensation for this year’s residents would be more than fair.”