The fashionista’s holiday guide

shares her tips for looking good on the move

Preparation
Unveiling a body that’s remained neglected and firmly under wraps throughout the winter is always going to be a daunting task. Make it a little easier on yourself by preparing your skin for the big bikini reveal a week or so before the event. A scrubsmoothly polished canvas is the key to any tan, fake or not, so incorporate St Ives’ Apricot Scrub for all skin types (£4.09) into your shower routine. If you’re as pale as I currently am, make like me and fake it till you make it with Dove’s Summer Glow Nourishing Lotion, for softer skin and to prevent fellow beach go-ers from risking blindness from the glare of your winter white legs. Currently £2.48 in Superdrug. And let’s not forget the face; prepare your skin with the Yes To Grapefruit Brightening Facial wipes. They are £2.66 in Boots for quick on-the-go cleansing and exfoliation.

Beautylipstick
Sun damage is never attractive. Luckily Ambre Solaire have created a practical Dry Mist, SPF 50, to moisturise and protect. Protect hair with an SPF if you are fair haired. Alternatively, Pantene’s Dry Oil with Vitamin E will stop your hair from drying out with the beach’s triple threat of sun, sea and sand. Or you could harness this beach hair look with Toni & Guy’s brilliant Salt Spray. Boots sell flight friendly minis. For your face, the arrival of summer means less is more. For night time, slick on Mac’s Enchanted One, a tan boosting coral from their new Alluring Aquatic collection. And check out that packagin, only £16.50. Eye-wise, Maybelline’s Color Tattoo 24HR Cream Gel Eyeshadows come in a dazzling range of metallics and can be patted on to the lid with a finger. Easy breezy.

Readingbook
A book is as good to be seen with as any accessory. Summer provides us with endless opportunities to catch up on the reading uni work may have kept us too busy for. We recommend picking up one of “The School of Life’s How To” series. It is a seriously productive, yet brief, summer read and will fit easily into an overstuffed carry-on, and it’s only £8. Another option is Joanna Briscoe’s “Touched” which starts off as a traditional summer novel set in the sixties, but the story of the young family at its centre quickly takes a nightmarish turn… £10, out July 3rd. Finally, as we mourn the passing and celebrate the life of one of the world’s greatest female writers, there is no better beach read (or re-read, or re-re-read), than Maya Angelou’s beloved “I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings?”