Women’s futsal thrash Middlesbrough

Images: Petroc Taylor

It was a demolition job for the York women’s futsal firsts who took their Middlesbrough opponents apart in the Tent last Sunday.

Anty Cole was the starring player, scoring the pick of the goals and setting up her team mates with chances to score numerous times throughout the match. Sophie Jermy got York underway with the first goal within the begining five minutes of the match.

Soon after, Maria Davies and Jermy combined down the left wing, passing the ball around their Middlesbrough opponents in a series of one twos before Davies squared the ballright to Jermy who slotted home her second goal of the afternoon to give York an early 2-0 lead.

Davies then got herself on the score sheet with a nicely placed long shot before Cole grabbed her goal. After a nice first touch, Cole swivelled round and volleyed the ball side on past the opposition keeper to give York a 4-0 lead.

York captain Jessica Craig then set up Davies for her second. Craig pulled back a corner from the right into Davies’ path who struck a fierce shot which rocketed into the back of the net to give York a fifth goal.

Cole then bagged her first assist of the day with a neat pass from the right wing, into the path of Jermy who struck a low, powerful shot past the Middlesbrough defender to make the half time score line 6-0 to York. Middlesbrough managed to catch the York defence off guard straight after half time to steal a goal, but the York girls soon made amends for their brief lapse in concentration with a flurry of goals.

Craig slipped the ball under the Middlesbrough keeper to bag her second goal and had a chance to seal her hat trick moments later but missed the target. Cole then created another goal, this time for Rhiannon Roy Cole played Roy in on goal who decisively fired home York’s eighth.

Ellie Whittaker then played her hand in the next two York goals. The first she scored with a confident finish, whilst she pulled the ball back into Silvia Swan’s path who finished calmly, for the second goal, making the overall score line 10-1 to the home side. The final goal was scored by Helena Delgado-Nordmann who finished with a nice lofted shot to make the final score line 11-1.

After the match, Jessica Craig, York captain, spoke to Nouse briefly saying, “It was a really fantastic performance, we worked really hard as a team and we are really looking forward to next year.”

York team: Cook, Pick, Roy, Davies, Green, Allsop, Cole, Swan, Jermy, Craig, Delgado-Nordmann
Player of the match: Anty Cole