University team dominates netball Cup

Images: Petroc Taylor

The University’s netball and James College firsts teams continue to top their respective groups after the fourth round of netball College Cup fixtures.

In the first match of Group B, the University seconds team dominated the score line to beat Halifax seconds 20-1. Halifax came out strongly and attacked well but the strong communication of the university team proved their downfall as they attacked hard and ended the first half leading 15-0.
Despite a change in shooters within the University team during the second half, Halifax were unable to bridge the university team’s 15-point advantage but did hold them to only another five goals as well as scoring one of their own to end the match losing 20-1.

In the second match of the afternoon, Goodricke were forced to call time on the match early following a knee injury to Vice-captain Emily Dobson who had to be carried from the pitch early in the second half.

Although both teams had fought hard during play up until this point, it was James who had the advantage and led 14-9 at the time of the injury.
Alcuin firsts defeated a determined Derwent firsts 12-0 in the final match of Group B. While the score line would suggest that Alcuin dominated play Derwent fought hard and made Alcuin work for the points.

They defended strongly, but Alcuin’s strong communication and shooting skills meant that they allowed Derwent little opportunity to attempt to score themselves.

Derwent firsts avenged the seconds’ defeat in the first match of Group A when they defeated Alcuin seconds by 19 points to 3.

Derwent opened strongly to take an early 3-0 lead, although Alcuin were quick to fight back and score a point of their own. However, the Derwent side soon began to prove their dominance and edge away from Alcuin to end the first half with an eight-point lead, winning 9-1.

Alcuin came out strongly in the second half but were unable to convert their early attempts as Derwent scored the opening goal of the half.
Although Alcuin did manage to score two points during the half, the pressure exerted by Derwent prevented them from bridging the gap and the game ended with Derwent leading 19-3.

In the second match James seconds were soundly beaten by the University 1 team 23-0. The University team made a quick start to score the point.
Although James responded immediately, the strength of the University team’s defence prevented them from equalising and began to dominate the game.
James made some good defensive efforts but were unable to stop the hard University assault and ended the half down by 12 points, 12-0.

During the second half, James continued to fight with some impressive interceptions but the University team remained dominant and continued to extend their lead, not allowing James any opportunity to score. The match ended with the University team winning 23-0.

Langwith and Halifax fought hard in the final match of the afternoon, although it was Halifax who came out victorious, winning 21-6. Langwith opened the scoring, quickly taking a 1-0 lead.

However, Halifax responded with a score of their own before taking the lead. Both teams defended strongly and maintained pressure, but Halifax began to edge in front, ending the first half leading 7-3.

Again Langwith came out fighting, although Halifax’s dominance had begun to assert itself, taking the first eight points of the half. Langwith were able to claw back three points but this had come too late and Halifax ended the match in front, winning 21-6.