Tang Hall lottery grant now open to students

Students are being invited to pitch their community engagement ideas to secure up to a £500 grant from the National Lottery Fund.

The Tang Hall Big Local is a £1 million lottery fund awarded to Tang Hall that seeks to develop the local area and make “a massive and lasting difference over 10 years”, developed entirely by the community. In its initial stages the THBL has been awarded £20,000, part of which is being used for the community grants scheme.

The grant is intended to improve living conditions in the Tang Hall area. Big Local is offering grants to local groups willing to organise and run projects or events that will benefit the Tang Hall community. Students will have the chance to gain experience in project and event management.

Tang Hall is one of the most popular areas for students, being close to the University and having relatively cheap rent.

Despite the high population of students there have been some problems regarding student-resident relations.

According to a 2013 YUSU survey 40.2 per cent of students didn’t feel valued in the area, whilst 61.9 per cent of residents claimed to have never met their student neighbours. Noise and improper waste disposal have been identified as issues within the community.

Suggestions for events have included the formation of a Tang Hall sports teams, a football tournament, and a street party. The deadline for applications is 31 May.