Campus style: what are you wearing?

Carly Howard, James 1st year, studying History

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAFor me, my style is all about reflecting my mood and personality. I love iconic period pieces which you can team with anything. I live in my 90s denim jacket by day, and then will flaunt a 50s dress by night. So today, with the promise of sunshine on campus, I couldn’t wait to finally embrace a bolder and brighter look to conquer those pre-exam blues. .

I’ve been dying for the opportunity to wear this statement A-line skirt since I originally bought it back at the Fresher’s vintage fair in first term. I’m teaming the more daring kaleidoscopic patterning with a plain and simple, cotton crop-jersey from Republic, a necessity for every summer wardrobe. My nude leather brogues are a staple, classic buy from Clarks, perfect for that awkward spring-summer transition.

I really appreciate versatility within a wardrobe. I pretty much live in this oversized nineties denim jacket which I got from a local charity shop. I love to mix and match it with pieces from other eras. For a more casual 80s inspired look I’d pair it with acid wash skinny jeans; the past is certainly my main inspiration.

Instead of spending a fortune on branded clothing, I tend to opt for the student-friendly alternatives. Fashion apps such as “Depop”, which allow you to trade and sell your old clothes, have really freshened up my wardrobe, and have been incredibly kind to my purse! I like to take time in making my clothes personal to me. I can’t remember the last time I bought a pair of denim shorts – I much prefer to tailor an old pair of jeans to my own taste.

I don’t think you should restrict yourself to one particular look or trend. Those close to me would say I change my look every day. I think that’s the best way to be, fashion should be as creative and adaptable as you are, and show off all sides of your personality.