Review: Glengarry Glen Ross

Glengarry Glen Ross deserves to top the Cadillac board. Aaron Stennet reviews

Photo: Tim Kelly

Photo: Tim Kelly

Venue: Drama Barn
Directors: Declan Dillane and Alex Abraham
Rating:  ★★★★☆

In taking on Glengarry Glen Ross, perhaps the most beloved and well known of David Mamet’s plays, co-directors Alex Abraham and Declan Dillane gave themselves a massive job- made more impressive by Dillane’s decision to take on a starring role.

The play, which follows a groups of beleaguered real estate salesmen who risk losing their jobs if they fail to sell the land, is famous for its “Mamet speak”: short, sharp expletive laden dialogue between the various characters. Happily the cast in the Drama Barn more than delivered on this challenging script. glengarry poster

From the moment the lights came up and revealed Joseph Williams as the slick brass-ball toting Horatio Blake, the audience was captivated. Though Blake only appears in a single scene, his words as well as his swagger create an important reference point for the desperation of the other salesmen throughout the rest of the play.

Rather than stick with the original play’s structure, Dillane and Abraham rather cleverly opted instead to cut between the various scenes. This meant the audience was able to marvel in the effortless Ricky Roma as he woos a potential buyer, before chuckling at the conversation between George Aaronow and the recalcitrant Dave Moss.

Glengarry Glen Ross is a play that relies solely on its cast and their interactions to keep the audience engaged, and in this regard the cast in the Drama Barn did not disappoint. From Toby King’s desperate Shelley “The Machine” Levene, to the hapless George Aaronow of Joseph D’angelo, the entire cast impressed.

Isaac BD deserves a special mention for his portrayal as Ricky Roma, a standout performance which saw him play the leading salesman in an understated but razor-sharp fashion.

In all then, Glengarry Glen Ross at the Drama Barn was thoroughly enjoyable, with memorable performances from a very strong cast. Every single person involved in the production deserves to top the Cadillac board.

1. Hahahahaha you called him Decline… you should probably check the directors names before submitting a review. It’s Declan Dillane not Decline!