Fashion City York – Sunday round up

The second day of York’s May Fashion Weekend was, as expected, teaming with fantastic offers and opportunities for the style-savvy shopper. From luxurious free head massages in Ritual to endless rows of vintage treasure at York Does Vintage, the city’s fashion talent certainly has much to boast about after this weekend.

Yesterday’s excitement during the Fashion Rocks catwalk events and live windows certainly raised expectations for today, and Coppergate Centre did not disappoint. With prize draws such as a pamper day for two, Topman canvas bag giveaways and Fenwick’s MAC beauty demos, there was still plenty going on for those who missed out on yesterday’s showcase.

A short walk away to Rituals on Coney Street brought more pleasant surprises. The brand, inspired by authentic Eastern beauty traditions, were keen to promote their relaxing head and hand massages. Amongst the de-stressing process we were treated to a refreshing eye lotion, a minty stress relief serum and some soothing Yin spray bed embodiment. All of the products had a really calming effect, perfect for those out there who need a mid-exam treat.

To top this off, the historic Merchant Adventures Hall was transformed into period-shopping heaven, welcoming back another York Does Vintage. The fourteenth-century building seemed a perfect environment to mirror the culture and depth of British fashion supplied by the diverse selection of traders. From Victorian tea sets and antique jewellery, to 50s floral dresses and hand-made bandana hair pieces, there was something for every style. Shoppers also had the opportunity to indulge in home-made cakes with a cup of tea as a well earned break. For the cherry on top there were frequent performances by a local country band performing Mumford and Sons’ Little Lion Man, which made the perfect soundtrack to the ultimate local vintage shopping experience.

Amongst my favourites were a handmade floral skirt by Miss Maude Makes and this classic snake-skinned mini satchel from Retro Romance Vintage Boutique, both great buys at £10 a piece. At the event traders were also keen to give away York Does Vintage privilege cards. These will be given out at future events and grant discount to many York vintage favourites such as Dog and Bone, which I thoroughly recommend to any fashion lover.

Overall the weekend has highlighted the diversity and competency of York’s fashion scene. However most importantly it has demonstrated that home-grown independent traders and big name brands really can work together to create fantastic events which capture and promote the spirit of British fashion and shopping.