York falls two places in university league table

The league table, compiled by The Complete University Guide, also shows York’s progress in ensuring graduate prospects

The University of York has fallen two places to 14th overall in the most recently published UK university league table. The league table, compiled by The Complete University Guide, sees the university drop from 12th place which it had held since 2012.

Despite this drop York has seen some progress. The table reported a marginal increase in Student Satisfaction, with York’s score going up from 4.13 to 4.14 out of a maximum 5 points. This category was assessed by the responses from the 2013 National Student Survey of final year students, which asked undergraduates to answer questions on various aspects of the teaching.

Graduate Prospects has seen an increase from 69.6 to 73.7 out of a possible 100. Calculated from 2011-2012 Higher Education Statistics Agency data, this reveals the percentage of students who went on to gain graduate-level employment.

A number of University of York disciplines have conversely maintained or ascended the ranks.

Of those subjects usually ranked within the top ten only English has seen its position fall from 6th to 8th. Meanwhile Chemistry has held 7th place and Nursing has risen two places to 5th.

In the light of York’s mixed results in the league tables Kallum Taylor, YUSU President, commented: “League Tables are very difficult to place heaps of faith in, but trends do matter. I think the University knows there has to be a change in approach over the next 5 years. Some of our trouble has been to be too easily satisfied to simply be keeping up with the averages, as opposed to being to ones to excel.

“The new Vice Chancellor has a huge job on his hands and I hope he knows the student community is right behind him in delivering success.”

1. Stop expanding, stop taking people from clearing, and stop offering less respected academic degrees!

I can make this University a top 10 if I had my way.

• You’re an idiot. The reason we’re always had a second rate education to America is because they look at how genuinely intelligent people are. Not just exam results. If you run a business at 18, traveled the world extensively, chose your own path – these are signs of intelligence.

That’s why I’m surrounded by the supposed ‘creme de la creme’ at York but in reality it’s a load of people that can’t string a sentence together, don’t know how to get a housing deposit back, think ambition means middle management and have an overwhelming desire to reach for fake tan.

So yes, why don’t you up the ‘academic’ entry requirements and all you’re see is an influx in more out of touch with reality idiots.

Make the requirements to have had a gap year (preferably 2), and show signs of entrepreneurial spirit, then you’ll have a university of game changers and intellectuals.

Knowledge is having the right answers, intelligence is asking the right questions.

• Are you totally deluded?

The only thing American universities look for are deep pockets to pay for their outrageous tuition fees!

Oh maybe you might be good at sports, great qualification to get into University!

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) $36,000

Harvard University $38,891

University of Cambridge $14,000

University College London (UCL) $14,000

Imperial College London $14,000

University of Oxford $14,000

Stanford University $42,690

Yale University $43,100

• I will be moving to live in the USA after graduating and have spent a lot of my time there, despite the media’s portrayal, I found the average college student to be far more intelligent that the average UK student.

Seriously, US degrees are four years long, 2 years of general study and 2 years of your pure subject (major). So yes, graduates have studied math, chemistry, history and astronomy to name a few, at university level for 2 years, followed by an intense program of Study in their subject!

They generally have 5 hours a day at the campus, every day of the week. They are graded (albeit only slightly) on things like performance in seminars and contribution to the class. That means those who are intelligent but perhaps not the best at exam technique are rewarded for it. Once a semester, they have surprise tests DURING lectures, for say 10% of the overall grade. This ensures students turn up to lectures and pay attention.

Hardworking students can overload credits and graduate in 2 or 3 years, by studying over summers etc. This reduces fees and time.

The entrance requirements are not ‘be good at sport’ again, all you’ve done is prove the point in the previous comment. But they literally do take into account the profile and determination of applicants and there is much less red tape. For example, a single mother who’s been taking evening classes, working hard to get a hichschool education, working 2 jobs and gets slightly less than the entry requirements will be held in high regard as a inspirational and dedicated being. Here in the UK, she’ll likely be told that she hasn’t proved herself ‘academically’ because, hey, you got a B on that test last year!

We on the other hand, spend 3 years, in which we say, ‘ah fuck it, first year doesn’t even count mate’ and then spend the next two years enjoying lay ins and 5 hours A WEEK. I don’t have to contribute to seminars or lectures, in fact I don’t even need to turn up. Guess what, I’ve never even read more than 5 pages of a text book whilst I’ve been here and get high 2:1s all day long, there are 100s like myself, we simply aren’t pushed or tested. Coincidentally, despite it being a shit system, I’ve used the extra time to start two businesses – however most students don’t do this, resulting in the sea of english graduates who are actually not very worldly or bright at all.

In regard to your comment on the fee’s – you’re an idiot. Sure they are high but very very very few americans pay that much. They get subsidized by the university itself if family income is low, and if it’s average they can less subsidy but can get low interest private ‘education loans’ – just like us it’s monopoly money that isn’t breaking the bank. Also, most US parents open long term savings accounts to send a kid to college from age one, and like I just said those too poor to save get the tuition paid for by the uni anyway. Yes – I know people at top uni’s who pay something like $3000 a year for it. Cheaper than here for a better uni and betterway of life. Those who can save have usually got a better USA education in the first place and can save, hello my initial point.

So before you start hating on the entry requirements of York, take a look around are you inspired by your peers? Get real mate.

Enjoy your very very very average life – hope your stereotypical internship in London goes well.

• 4 years degree in the US, they learn slow….. I saw lectures on youtub and in the first year they were learning the same things in physics which I was taught during A -levels. hahahahahahaaha

You fool, don’t even try and defend the high fees of the US system!
            Next thing you are going to do is defend your high heath costs and your gun laws!

The only thing the US is good at is having funds for post graduate research, but the British education is much fairer and better over all.

• Yeah I bet you did it at A – Level and thought you were ‘ahead’ (nerdy laugh). Did you know you can study computer science or physics at a top American university (which far outrank ours btw, you may want to check your sources) WITHOUT EVER having studied it before (but students there can’t take 15 A levels) so they spend the first year bringing everyone up to the same level on a broad range of subjects. Therefore they can study anything they want at highschool. Here, we have to know what we’re doing at 16 so we can have a very specific basic education to get onto a very specific degree programme that generates narrow minded individuals such as yourself.

If you think being able to study complete science and physics without having done the ‘same A-level standard’ before is bad then I guess that’s why the UK is so famous for it’s leading tech…oh wait. So because our A -levels are so great…..Man you are literally a complete idiot.

By the way it’s spelled ‘youtube’, you can credit that the americans along with the technology used to build this very wordpress comment system that I use to destroy you with.

I was not inclined to defend the US education system until I was shocked at how more efficient it was first hand. It’s ironic because as a graduate you’d probably relish the opportunity to go and work in California and ditch dreary england immediately but because you’re so narrow minded you’ll never have that opportunity.

You are a nobody and always will be.

• “stop taking people from clearing”

What an utterly ridiculous comment! I feel incredibly blessed that I was able to get into York through clearing in 2009, as I missed my AAA offer from Bristol due to family/personal circumstances. I went on to get a first at York & secured a graduate job for a large financial services firm in the first term of my third year…

I spoke about it on ‘Clearing Day’ to my HoD, who said he’s run analyses on the correlation between A-Level/GCSE grades & degree performance (for his course only- increasing sample size will obviously influence these results) and has found absolutely no correlation.

• The top universities in the country does not use clearing!

Clearing is like a big sale, where every Tom, Dick and Harry can get in with low grades and destroy the university reputation for the rest of us.

2. ^^^^^^^^ Seemingly does Sociology. You matter too, you free spirit you.