Rob Aitken to stand down as Derwent Provost

Dr Rob Aitken has accepted a new role as the University’s Senior College Principal

The Derwent provost, Dr Rob Aitken, has announced that he is to stand down as the college’s provost as of the 1st August.

Dr Rob Aitken. Credit: UoY

Dr Rob Aitken. Credit: UoY

In an email sent round to Derwent students on 2nd May, the senior lecturer in the Politics department announced that he is to accept the role as the University’s Senior College Principal, meaning that he will no longer be able to remain Provost.

His new role, due to start 1st August, will involve developing the University’s strategy for all colleges.

Aitken became the provost in 2009 after the sudden death of predecessor Ron Weir, who had occupied the role since 1980.

In the announcement, Aitken said: “I have enjoyed being Provost of Derwent College immensely – it is in many ways the best job on campus. I have learnt a great deal from working with Derwent students over the past 5 years.

“Without that experience I would not be in a position to now go on and work to develop the college system as a whole in York. So I wanted to thank you all for the support you have shown me and to express the hope that you will continue to invite me to events in Derwent after 1 August.”

Aitken is often involved in most of the college’s student activities and rarely misses the college’s biggest and most frequented events like Big D.

A successor to Dr Aitken is yet to be announced.

1. A great loss to Derwent College. Rob has held the college together in bad times and helped it in good times. He was a great provost and really cared about the welfare of his students.

2. Remember when Rob was in Revs on the Bevs? Good times. Good bloke.

3. 8 May ’14 at 7:01 pm

Successor selector

John Mellors 4 provost