York bowlers tear through Lancaster

LANCASTER 107
YORK 110

Images: Alex Byron

York men’s firsts cricket team beat their Lancaster counterparts by just four runs, despite a disappointing batting display during which they were bowled out for 110.

The visiting side had to concede the toss after they arrived at Lancaster Cricket Club late because of a delayed bus, so the hosts opted to bowl first.

The opening batting pair of Callum Rabet and Mark Askham struggled to score in the early stages and, after a torturous innings against Lancaster’s fast bowlers, Rabet was eventually out LBW leaving his side at 20-1.
Henry Collins formed a good partnership with Askham as they grafted their way to 46-1. But two wickets came in quick succession in the 20th over when Askham was calamitously run out and Collins was bowled out just two balls later. Askham, nevertheless, finished as York’s top run scorer with 21.

Callum Lennox and Tim Weston took their places respectively but failed to add much more to the York tally. Weston was run out while Ollie Marsh was bowled out shortly after leaving his team teetering on 55-5.

Thomas Waghorn entered the frame and found his form in his partnership with Lennox. But Waghorn was eventually bowled out and the remaining batsmen could only find another 18 runs between them. York were bowled out for 110.

A sterling bowling performance was to follow and, by the eighth over, Matt Cox had bowled out the Red Rose’s opening pair for 24. Marsh then entered the fray to reduce Lancaster to 36-3.

However, after a exemplary start, the wickets dried up for York before man of the match Marsh and team captain Ross Miller turned up the heat. Despite tight bowling, Lancaster racked up a worrying 73 runs, but then Miller took a quick wicket and Marsh magnificently caught and bowled the next Lancaster batsman.

Marsh and Miller continued to take wickets, with Marsh taking a four by the end of proceedings. At 96-9 in the 35th over, the match was set for a grandstand finish.

Lancaster’s last surviving batsman fought admirably in the final few overs and, with a score poised at 107-9 in the final over, the match was going to go down to the wire.With only two balls spare, Waghorn bowled and Miller finally ran out Lancaster’s tail ender.