Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Reveal

looks at Nintendo’s reveal that has the Pokémon community ecstatic

Photo credit: dromptommie

Photo credit: dromptommie

Ever since the initial remakes of Red and Blue, Pokémon fans have been ever-hopeful of further remakes of the favourite games from their youth. HeartGold and SoulSilver were two such titles that were fantastically exciting with superb graphical updates compared to their original versions and they immediately elicited suspicions as to the reveal that came today. Now, after much speculation and optimism the reveal many have been waiting for has finally arrived, remakes of the famous Ruby and Sapphire versions – or Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire as they have now been coined – are coming in November 2014.

Immediately upon the reveal millions of fans could be heard to collectively scream at the excitement of these now forthcoming titles. The short trailer may not look too astounding but there are definitely more exciting developments to come. The covers show off new, vamped up portrayals of the spectacular legendaries, Kyogre and Groudon – possibly coming with their own Mega Evolutions if the altered colours suggest anything. But that’s not all, the phrase ‘Explore a Dramatic New World’ hits the screen afterwards hinting at not only a complete overhaul for the games region (Hoenn) in the new 3D aesthetics seen in X and Y, but also hints at the possibility of new expansions to the map – similar no doubt to the edition of ‘The Sevii Islands’ in FireRed and LeafGreen.

Although Ruby and Sapphire may have been the point where many fans were becoming suspicious of the numerous amounts of sequels, Ruby and Sapphire sold 16 million copies worldwide and, are thus, the Game Boy Advance’s best selling games in history. It’s of no doubt then that there are millions out there that are eagerly awaiting the release of this game.

The sprawling cities and vibrant landscapes of X and Y, as well as there 3D nature, means that these games may be completely different to those we remember, increasing in scale and depth. This will be a welcome development however, as the small, encapsulated towns and cities never really reflected their titles or their counterparts in the anime. With the new processing power available to the 3DS, it is probable that the Hoenn we see in this game will be radically different from that of the original.

Screen Shot 2014 05 07 at 18.22.40

One thing that hopefully will not change, however, is the story. Personally, the main antagonists, Team Magma or Team Aqua (depending on the title), were extremely stimulating antagonists and if anything their respective stories should be expanded on giving us more insight into their motivations and perhaps invoking some of the darker themes we have seen come out of the most recent titles.

But we can’t exactly say we haven’t hoped or had an inkling that this has been on its way. Several of the Pokémon available in these editions such as Blaziken, Banette, and Absol have been recently given their own Mega Evolutions, breathing possible new variety into these games. Will the other starters such as Swampert and Sceptile also see such new forms?

X and Y also gave a few hints with characters cryptically alluding to the games with mentions of Lavaridge Town’s hot springs, the respective years that make up Ruby and Sapphire‘s anniversaries, and even a subtle reference to just one building in Slateport City.

Yes, these references may seem completely hollow to those who are not fans of the games but this announcement is probably more exciting to older Pokémon fans than the announcement of X and Y ever was. Finally, we get to sail the expansive and sweeping oceans that came hand in hand with Hoenn. And who knows what will happen to some of the features that have since been neglected that came from these games – mainly we’re going to get 3D Pokémon contests and might get a 3D Battle Frontier.

So generally what did this reveal show us? Not much. But that’s alright because once again Pokémon has animated an ageing audience. What Pokémon will be available? What changes will be made? What new content will there be? These are but a few questions stimulated by this reveal. Undoubtedly there is still much to be shown and hopefully E3 2014 will be jam-packed with new information us Pokémon fans can really sink our teeth into.

Check out the reveal trailer below: