Lancaster foxtrot to victory

Lancaster dominated the ballroom dancing on the final day of this year’s Roses tournament

LANCASTER 3-1 YORK

Images: Alex Byron

Lancaster’s Great Hall hosted the competitive Ballroom and Latin dancing. The entertainment was sustained throughout all four hours of competition, which is a credit to both university sides, with the overall score finishing 3-1 in Lancaster’s favour.

The ballroom dancing consisted of dances such as the Waltz, Viennese Waltz, the Mayfair Quickstep, the Foxtrot and the crowd favourite, the tango being performed by both beginners and advanced dancers.

In the break between the final ballroom dances and the awards, a game of musical chairs was played but with a twist. The only way the couples could move around the chairs was by dancing the Viennese Waltz with their partner. If their partner was eliminated then they had to find another one at random.

Out of the final six individuals, five were from York and one was from Lancaster. The final couple consisted of one male member from York and one female member from Lancaster; eventually the York member stole the final chair winning the game.

In the ballroom awards, the York beginners excelled, winning a point, with several couples being overall winners of individual dances. In the advanced section though, Lancaster ran away with the point.

In the Latin dances, fan favourites such as the Rhumba, the Paso Doble, the Jive, the Cha Cha Cha and the Samba featured, with one particular judge getting into the Cha Cha Cha music a little bit too much to the extent that he was almost taking part.

Unfortunately, despite several entertaining performances from the York contingent, the Lancaster teams swept both the beginners and advanced Latin competitions, taking two points from the Latin competitions.

Regardless, York dancer Andrew Grantham performed admirably for the White Rose throughout the competition.