Lancaster dismantle White Rose

In the final football fixture of Roses 2014, the women’s firsts team were humbled by their Lancaster counterparts

LANCASTER 4-1 YORK

Images: Petroc Taylor

In the final football fixture of Roses 2014, the women’s first team were humbled by their Lancaster counterparts. It was a game that saw the York side underperform with a disappointing first half performance ultimately costing them the four points.

The first goal came just after the ten minute mark as Lancaster took advantage of some poor marking from the York defence. An out swinging free kick from the right wing was whipped into the York box and met the left boot of the Lancaster striker who was allowed to roam free in the six yard box. She guided the ball into the roof of the net sending Lancaster 1-0 up in the early stages.

Shortly after their first goal, Lancaster added a second. Laura Baldwin was deemed to have brought down the Lancaster striker in the box. The Lancaster striker confidently stepped up to spot, slotting the ball down the right past York keeper Anna Cook.

The sides went in at half time with Lancaster holding a well-deserved 2-0 lead and they increased it further straight after half time. The ball came to the Lancaster left winger who switched the ball to her right foot and hit a powerful shot over Cook and into the top right hand corner making the score line 3-0 to Lancaster.

Throughout the match, Lancaster made the right decisions in attack, supported by a solid performance from their back four. York got more into the game after the third goal and looked the more threatening side for large parts of the second half.

York had an excellent chance to score their first goal after Anty Cole won the ball with a strong tackle, before offloading the ball to Jessica Craig who put through a perfectly weighted through ball to Sophie Jermy whose resulting shot on the edge of the area went just over the bar.

York then hit the bar twice in quick succession. The first occasion was when Rhiannon Roy received the ball on the edge of the area, turned to the left and released a powerful snap shot which hit the bar. The second occasion was after Jermy received the ball on the left wing, she cut in with her right foot and delivered a penetrative in swinging cross which met the head of Craig whose powerful header hit the bar.

Despite York’s excellent attacking play, Lancaster added a fourth. An out-swinging cross from the right wing aimed at the back post was fumbled by the keeper and the loose ball was fired into the roof of the net by the Lancaster striker.

York eventually got a well-deserved consolation goal as the ball was squared centrally to Craig who was unmarked in the box. Craig provided a calm finish to score the final game, making the score line 4-1 to Lancaster.

After the match, captain Ellie Whittaker spoke to Nouse and reflected on her time as captain and on her team’s performance: “I’ve really enjoyed my time as captain, it’s been harder work than I expected, but I have loved every minute of it.

“Obviously, this weekend was not the ending that we wanted, we have had a great season, we have gone up a league, we have taken on the best of the best within that league and I couldn’t be prouder of this set of girls. It’s been a fantastic season and we’re going to do the same next year except we are going to win everything! Including Roses!”