Clinical White Rose claim victory

The men’s indoor hockey firsts put in a brilliant performance to overcome Lancaster at Roses

Images: James Hostford

York men’s indoor hockey firsts put in a superb performance to claim a 7-4 victory over Lancaster on Friday. Starting with intent, Leo Wotton picked up the ball and deftly shot at the keeper, almost scoring from the off.

The White Rose looked lively, but it was end-to-end and Callum Chaundy was forced into a standard save, before brilliantly saving a penalty, getting down low to stop the shot.

This handed momentum to York, and the talismanic Hugo Christie soon threaded through to Alex Bond for the opener.

Lancaster soon equalised after slipping the ball past Chaundy, but York’s lead was restored as Joe Sherrington-Sales found the net. York were on top of the game and dictating the pace of play, in front of a vociferous crowd on the touchline. Sherrington-Sales and Bond were looking particularly strong for York, who were playing some incredible hockey.

An uncharacteristic slip of concentration from Christie allowed Lancaster in to equalise, but they weren’t level for long as Christie almost immediately made up for his error by finding the net at the other end of the pitch.

At this point, Lancaster then called a timeout with their side a little rattled at the level of York’s performance, and just before half time, they netted twice to make it 4-3 to Lancaster at the break.

In the second half, York again put Lancaster under pressure, and Phil Blackburn smashed home from long-range in the goal of the game.

Wotton then had a goal disallowed from a short corner, but he netted seconds later and this was followed up by a sixth York goal, from man of the match Christie.

At this point, it was clear that York were in the ascendancy and hitting Lancaster on the break down the right.

After another timeout, Wotton then increased York’s advantage by slotting home a seventh, before Christie rounded off a deserved victory with the White Rose’s eighth and final goal.

Following the match, captain Phil Blackburn told Nouse: “It’s a great result and it’s fantastic to win at Roses against Lancaster. We were up against it at half time and had lost our heads a bit at the end of the first half, but we regrouped at half time and absolutely smashed them in the second half. A special mention has to go to our goalkeeper, Callum Chaundy. He had an absolute stormer and without him, they probably would have won.”