Indoor seconds crash out to clinical Lancaster

LANCASTER 5 – 2 YORK

Despite opening the scoring in the first minute, York crashed out of the women’s indoor football seconds match 5-2 against a more determined Lancaster outfit.

York thought that they’d got off to a perfect start when team captain Marte Retzius made space for Ante Cole to cut inside and send a low left-footed shot past the Lancaster goalkeeper.

The early goal had certainly taken aback the hosts as they failed to look threatening in attack as they resorted to feeble shots from range.

The Black and Gold almost doubled their lead after five minutes; Lancaster’s keeper spilled a Ruby Callister shot and Retzius could only hit the base of the post from the rebound.

This close chance, however, stirred Lancaster into life as they instantly hit back with an equaliser when they hit York on the break away and levelled the match with a quality finish.

York continued to look culpable on the break as Lancaster grew into the game. The hosts eventually took the lead on the quarter of an hour mark under somewhat dubious circumstances.

A York defender conceded a free kick for handball near the York goal, despite her trying to protect her face and the ball being above head height. Regardless, the referee awarded Lancaster the free kick, and a quick pass found space for their striker to slot the ball home.

The half time break did York the world of good as they got their defensive line in order. On 22 minutes, however, Lancaster tucked in a goal at the near post to make it 3-1 and York were in danger of letting the game run away from them.

Nevertheless, the White Rose continued to battle on, with Retzius and Cole both coming close. On 25 minutes, York finally found their second goal when Savanna Green stepped inside before firing off a wicked shot into the back of the net.

But as York pushed forward in search for an equaliser, they left themselves open at the back once more and they eventually gave away a cheap goal on the half hour mark when they lost possession at the back; although the initial shot was well saved by keeper Charlie Brown, she couldn’t prevent the second attempt from slipping in at the near post.

York looked to immediately react and Cole thought that she had pulled a goal back just a minute later when she tucked in a spilled save from a Callister shot, however the referee disallowed the goal was Cole was deemed to have entered the D.

The visiting side’s luck continued to diminish as Lancaster made it 5-2 in the closing stages when, once again, they moved well up the field on the break before the tucking the ball under Brown and into the net.

York squad: Brown, Nilson, Turner, Cole, Larkin, Retzius (C), Green, Callister