Defiant York suffer away Roses defeat

Images: Petroc Taylor

The fiftieth annual Roses tournament, this year held in Lancaster, celebrating the historic rivalry between Yorkshire and Lancashire has culminated in a victory for the home side by 41 points. One positive aspect to York’s loss however was that they lost with the highest points total in the history of the tournament.

Before the weekend’s fixtures, when the vast majority of points were on offer, the rowing team and the men’s cricket seconds competed against their Lancaster rivals on the Sunday and Thursday before the Roses weekend respectively. The rowing team gave York an early lead in the tournament standings winning twelve points to Lancaster’s five points. Meanwhile, the men’s cricket seconds finished with York losing by 15 runs after being bowled out for 81, chasing Lancaster’s total of 96 all out.

The Friday of the weekend saw the men’s cricket firsts claim a scintillating victory over the Red Rose. After being bowled out for 110 and posting what was initially considered to be a low total, York battled to victory bowling out their Lancashire rivals for 107 to claim a victory by just four runs.

Friday evening saw the opening ceremony followed by the men’s football firsts. The match itself was played in a makeshift stadium that was specially constructed for Roses by Lancaster.

The match itself finished as a 2-2 draw and had plenty of drama. Midway through the first half, midfielders Connor McCoy and Josh Spurling went off the field with injuries. Lancaster grabbed the opener but York hit back through a Josh Bew equaliser. Lancaster then took the lead once more in the middle of the second half before Bew equalised with a powerful strike sending the York support into a frenzy.

On Saturday, the men’s rugby firsts secured a gritty 23-15 victory over Lancaster with Connan Osbourne, Tom Arnott and Will Peters all scoring tries that secured the points for York, whilst the seconds and thirds both suffered shock defeats.

Saturday afternoon saw some of the most competitive fixtures of the weekend being played with the highlight being the men’s hockey firsts, who played their part in one of the most extraordinary Roses hockey matches of recent years. After going ahead against the Red Rose through a couple of Phil Ratliff goals, the White Rose soon saw their Lancashire rivals equalise and then take the lead. The final score saw the York side lose 5-4 in a physically exhausting encounter.

The women’s lacrosse side staked their claim as one of the best sports teams on campus, finishing their emphatic season with a 13-1 victory. Key players such as Katie Barrett and Alex Whitehand made some wonderful runs through the opposition defence, scoring the vast majority of goals that helped clinch the victory.

Saturday night culminated with water polo and darts fixtures. Whilst York dominated in the pool with the men’s water polo team winning 8-7 in a nail biting match that went to the wire, whilst the women’s side totally dominated their opponents winning 9-2. In the Great Hall, the York men’s darts team struggled against the strength of their Lancaster rivals, losing 7-2, regardless, the evening’s entertainment made for a great spectacle.

It was in the women’s basketball on Sunday afternoon that saw the Red Rose snatch the Carter James trophy from York after winning 62-27. Later that day, the women’s football firsts also suffered a disappointing defeat at the hands of the Red Rose losing 4-1. York’s Jessica Craig scored a goal in the dying minutes of the match to provide a cause for celebration for the staunch York fans on the sidelines.

Cass Brown, York Sport President spoke to Nouse about the Roses tournament: “The weekend was amazing, I am so proud of all the York teams for doing so incredibly well. We have the highest losing score in history and the highest away score in history, which is testament to York’s sporting development and the progress that we have made over the last twelve months. I had a really great time personally and I can’t wait for what Lancaster have got for us at home next year.”