Roses 2014 Preview: Swimming and Water Polo

The swimming and water polo club will be hoping that their teams can bring home all sixteen points for the White Rose

Image: Philippa Grafton

Image: Philippa Grafton

Fixtures

Women’s Swimming: Saturday, 11:30am, Swimming Pool
Men’s Swimming: Saturday, 11:30am Swimming Pool
Water Polo Women’s: Saturday, 7:30pm Swimming Pool
Water Polo Men’s: Saturday, 8:30pm, Swimming Pool

Points on Offer: 16

2013 Results

Women’s Swimming: Draw
Men’s Swimming: York win
Water Polo Women’s: York 9-3 Lancaster
Water Polo Men’s: York 9-4 Lancaster

Bill Timpany, Men’s Swimming Captain:

How have the club performed this season?

“The swimming side of UYSWC has performed well this year at both BUCS individual events and our BUCS team event with club records being broken throughout the year by a host of talented Freshers and returners alike.”

What are you expecting from your Roses fixtures?

“We’re expecting a close run gala again this year at Roses but fully anticipate coming out on top as per usual.”

Why should people come and watch your matches?

“Swimming generally isn’t a popular sport to watch but last year’s gala went right to the wire and the atmosphere was amazing, definitely worth coming to the pool to support us.”

Gabriel Cramer – Men’s Water Polo Captain

“We’ve had a fantastic season. Women’s Water Polo won their BUCS league and Cup – they’ve been raking in the points and have secured promotion for next season. Men’s Water Polo were promoted last year and have built on that success this year. We’re in the middle of Northern Division One. In UPolo, both teams have been playing against some of the country’s best teams. Our Men’s team came second in North East Division One, beaten to the top spot by BUCS winners Durham.”

“Water Polo is expected to dominate Lancaster. The women’s team have already played them three times this year and so far York Women are winning 36-2. We’re expecting plenty more goals from a well drilled team. Men’s Water Polo are also confident of a victory. We’ve been playing at a significantly higher level all season, and our scouts bring good news of Lancaster’s inadequacy in the pool. I would be surprised if they score any goals at all.”

Image: Lily Grant

Image: Lily Grant

“Water Polo is a spectacular sport. Incredibly fit athletes swim at full pelt up and down the pool, only to engage in wrestling matches at the ends instead of getting a rest. Goals come often and when the York teams are involved, with panache – we score goals from back shots, from breaking away, from lobs and we can kick out of the water to our trunks to smash home the ball with almighty strength. Best of all, we’ll provide a Lancaster with a good thrashing, which is more than enough reason to watch.”

Nouse verdict:

I certainly hope to get down to the pool at this year’s Roses. I have heard how much of a big fixture water polo is, closing the Saturday run of fixtures. Both the swimming team and water polo sides enjoyed enormous success at last year’s Roses event and I’m sure both teams will want to emulate their achievements from last year’s tournament.

In water polo, it seems that the women’s side are an unstoppable force. Having beaten Lancaster three times already this season they look like strong favourites to win, as do the men so I would expect the York water polo teams to bring home the full eight points. As for swimming, it seems like York are also favourites. The swimming team appears to have had a successful year in the pool and I’m sure they’ll want to end on a high. Hopefully, maximum points will secured for the White Rose in the pool.