Roses 2014 Preview: Squash

After last year’s clean sweep, the four York squash teams will be hoping to get the better of the Lancaster teams on their own turf

Image: Lily Grant

Image: Lily Grant

Fixtures

Men’s 3rds: Friday, 4:00pm Squash Courts
Men’s 2nds: Friday 4:00pm, Squash Courts
Women’s 1sts: Friday, 4:00pm, Squash Courts
Men’s 1sts: Friday, 4:00pm, Squash Courts

Points on Offer: 11

2013 Results

Men’s 3rds: York 3-0 Lancaster
Men’s 2nds: York 3-1 Lancaster
Women’s 1sts: York 3-0 Lancaster
Men’s 1sts: York 3-0 Lancaster

Jon Holden – President

How have the club performed this season?

“We have performed amazingly well! One of the best seasons we have had on record! We got promoted to the highest league we will have ever been in, our second team came second and were almost promoted, as were our women’s team. We very narrowly missed out on winning the BUCS cup due to only having four players (out of five), only one of whom was playing in the correct ranking.”

What are you expecting from your Roses fixtures?

“Last year we destroyed Lancaster. We won every match (best of five). Every match was won 3-0 expect for one “let down” who won 3-1, this year we want a completely clean sheet!”

Why should people come and watch your matches?

“People should come watch squash because I think they will be amazed by what they see. It is a very intense hard-hitting sport, which requires almost every type of fitness. There are few people more athletically capable than squash players and things can get quite heated on court when playing Lancaster!”

Nouse verdict:

Last year the squash teams swept Lancaster under the rug. This year expect nothing less! The club has enjoyed a very successful season including promotions in the league which should give them plenty of confidence going into the tournament. It sounds like there is no love lost in the squash matches and what could be better than a fiery and intense Roses encounter? I’m going to say that once again, all of the squash teams will win their matches and secure maximum points for York.