Roses 2014 Preview: Sailing

After a brilliant season of competition, the sailing club will be confident of grabbing the points when they take on Lancaster in Bolton this weekend

Image: Harry Gallivan

Image: Harry Gallivan

Fixtures

Mixed 1sts: Saturday, 10am
Mixed 2nds: Saturday, 10am

Points on offer: 6

2013 Results

Mixed 1sts: York 3-2 Lancaster
Mixed 2nds: York 3-2 Lancaster

Race Captain, Tasha de La Fuente:

How have the club performed so far this season?

“The sailing club this season have performed excellently over the course of this year, with highlights at the Sheffield Shuffle in early November where both our teams qualified into Gold fleet and I’m proud to say York Black claimed the overall victory! We have also competed in many other events, including sending the Gold team to the Northern Monkey at Newcastle and York Black competed in the Northern Qualifiers.”

What are you expecting from your Roses fixtures?

“We are sending two teams down to Lancaster this weekend to compete in 5 consecutive races. We hope both teams will triumph and bring back points for York!”

Why should people come and watch your matches?

“Team racing provides an excellent atmosphere as well as competitive races in a fun and welcoming environment. We would really appreciate any support and there may also be a chance to go out on the water to experience team racing at its best!”

Nouse verdict:

It’s been another brilliant year for the Sailing club, with the team finishing ninth in the BUCS/BUSA Match Racing Championships, and only just missing out on a quarter-final place after their first ever entry into the competition. Both of York’s sailing teams won their Roses matches last year, but as has often been the case against their old rivals, it was a close contest between two very good teams. Unfortunately, the fixtures are hosted away from Lancaster in Bolton this year and it is set to be another close match. However, if the team realise their full potential and things fall well for them on the day, they should be able to claim at least some, if not all, of the points on offer for York.