Roses 2014 Preview: Pool & Snooker

After mixed results last year, the Pool & Snooker club will be aiming for a whitewash at this year’s Roses away at Lancaster

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

Fixtures

Snooker Mixed: Friday, 3pm, Barker House Farm
Pool Women: Friday, 6pm, Barker House Farm
Pool Men: Friday, 6pm, Barker House Farm

Points on offer: 8

2013 Results

Snooker Mixed: York 3-2 Lancaster
Pool Women: York 3-5 Lancaster
Pool Men: York 5-3 Lancaster

Dale Rout, Club Captain:

How have the club performed so far this season?

“It’s been a turbulent year for the club. It started very well with York reaching the final of the BUCS 9-ball tournament with some great performances. With the club doing so well on a national level the past few years, there was a lot of pressure to do well in the other two events, but we did just fall short of our high expectations. We reached the last 16 in the BUCS 8-ball event and lost out narrowly in the group stages of BUCS snooker in Leeds.”

What are you expecting from your Roses fixtures?

“It’s going to be a tough fixture, Lancaster actually reached the final of BUCS 8-ball in Great Yarmouth and so are one of the top sides in the country, but when it comes to Roses the form book is thrown out the window. It’s a completely different atmosphere, which brings all new pressures, and so we go there knowing that if we play our best we can most certainly win.”

Why should people come and watch your matches?

“Pool especially is always known for having a great atmosphere and Lancaster will be doing all they can to distract us, so we need all your support to fight back. Drama and great entertainment is guaranteed!”

Nouse verdict:

The Pool and Snooker club have had a mixed season by their standards, but this promises to be a competitive contest between two very good sides. York and Lancaster are two of the best pool teams in the country, and with Lancaster having a strong season it will be tough for York. These fixtures tend to go with home advantage – Lancaster won all three games in 2012, while York won two of the three last year. However, as Dale has pointed out, form goes out of the window in this tournament, and Pool and Snooker is always one of the best events in Roses, drawing a large crowd. With Lancaster being at home, I’d suggest they are probably the favourites this year, but if the White Rose play to their potential, then there’s every chance that they can snatch victory.