Roses 2014 Preview: Men’s Cricket

After the firsts were well beaten and the seconds secured victory in Roses 2013, both sides will want to post victories over Lancaster at this year’s tournament

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

Fixtures

Men’s 2nds: Thursday, 11:30am, Lancaster Cricket Club
Men’s 1sts: Friday, 10:00am, Lancaster Cricket Club
20/20: Friday, 5:00pm, Lancaster Cricket Club

Points on Offer: 7

2013 Results

Men’s 2nds: York victory by six wickets
Men’s 1sts: Lancaster victory by fifty runs

Matija Pisk – President

How have the club performed this season?

“Well we don’t start games until the summer. But our pre-season preparation has been phenomenal. We’ve got a quality squad of top level cricketers and our fielding standards are higher than they’ve ever been.”

What are you expecting from your Roses fixtures?

“Realistically…three straight wins for a full seven points”

Why should people come and watch your matches?

“Despite being unofficially regarded as the most handsome club in York, we’ve got some real talent to put on show. Fresher Tim Weston is a clean striker of the ball and will be a pleasure to watch. Our resident Ravi Bopara, in Thomas Waghorn is great at taking pace off the ball in the middle overs and is an exciting hard hitter down the order. Paceman Josh Salter has also come into the squad this year. He’s struggling with an injury at the minute but legend has it he’s been clocked in excess of 300mph at his home club.”

Nouse verdict:

Well if we believe the club president, a 300mph bowler for York should wrap up the points pretty quickly! Weather permitting, these fixtures should be great fun to watch for any cricket fan. York’s high fielding standards could make the difference as we all know a good fielding performance can easily knock twenty or thirty runs off the opposition’s total. This could give York sides the edge. The club president certainly seems confident of securing all seven points on offer and if key players remain fit and the pre-season nets continue to go well, then there is no reason to suggest that York can’t take all seven points.