Roses 2014 Preview: Rowing

Image: UYBC

Image: UYBC

Fixtures

Novice men’s seconds 8+: 27th April 1:05pm, John O’Gaunt rowing club
Novice men’s firsts 4+: 27th April 13:10pm, John O’Gaunt rowing club
Senior men’s firsts 4+: 27th April 13:15pm, John O’Gaunt rowing club
Novice women’s firsts 8+: 27th April 2pm, John O’Gaunt rowing club
Novice men’s firsts 8+: 27th April 2:35pm, John O’Gaunt rowing club
Senior men’s seconds 4+: 27th April 4:10pm, John O’Gaunt rowing club
Senior men’s firsts 8+: 27th April 4:15pm, John O’Gaunt rowing club

Points on offer: 16

Charlotte Price, Press and publicity officer

How have the club performed so far this season?

“Our club performance has been strong from the word go this season. We’ve had all four squads pushing all expectations in every race and have won a total of 7 medals won this season. Every race has produced impressive results and with all squads having just returned from respective training camps, it is about to step up another gear which makes for an exciting season ahead!”

What are you expecting from your Roses fixture?

“We are going out to win! We haven’t been able to race for a couple of years now and all crews are hungry for a whitewash! What with hours of training put in and the dedication of every crew member this should be easily done.”

Why should people come and watch your matches?

“Rowing is an exciting sport, as the Oxford-Cambridge boat race showed. Anything can happen in a race and it’s exciting to watch. We have many races happening on Sunday with many different crews and plus everyone wants to come see York win. Also, to add to that, rowing started the Roses tournament 50 years ago and we are racing for a massive chunk of points!”

Nouse Verdict

The rowing will be a truly exciting maiden voyage for the Black and Gold and it could set the mood for the tournament as a whole! Already this year, the club has won four medals at the BUCS Indoor Championships, whilst the small boats were also very successful. The senior women’s firsts and the novice men’s firsts came first in the White Rose Head, with the senior women’s seconds were runners-up. Bad weather may have blighted some of their fixtures this season but all crews are raring to go; they want a whitewash and they are certainly capable.