Roses 2014 Preview: Men’s Rugby

York favorites UYRUFC are aiming for another sensational Roses

Anything less than a whitewash will be deemed as a failure for UYRUFC this year at Roses. Image: Agatha Torrance

Fixtures:

Men’s Sevens: Friday 3:30pm, Rugby Pitch 2
Men’s Third XV: Saturday 11:30am, Rugby Pitch 2
Men’s Second XV: Saturday 1pm, Rugby Pitch 2
Men’s First XV: Sunday 2:30pm, Stadium

2013 results:

Men’s Third XV: won 40-0
Men’s Second XV: won 15-12
Men’s First XV: won 57-14

Club President Tom Chadwick:

1. How have the club performed so far this season?

“Our club has had a difficult season. Having lost our head coach at the beginning of the year, and then having to change again halfway through the season, has meant our players haven’t had the stability they need in order to perform to our club’s high standards in the leagues. However, since our new coach has come in, our league performance had picked up markedly, and we’re looking to put past disappointments behind us and really end the year in true UYRUFC fashion.”

2. What are you expecting from your Roses fixture?

“We are expecting the same as always, a dogged Lancaster outfit, across all 3 teams, they’ll be fit, aggressive and up for the fight. But our expectation doesn’t change. We’re there to win every fixture – Sevens and all 3 fifteens matches. Having not lost a fixture for 5 years, the expectation is simple. We go and get a 6th consecutive whitewash.”

3. Why should people come and watch your matches?

“Rugby has become a trademark of York’s recent success in Roses history. Having not lost a fixture in 5 years, our games always offer excitement, as we look to uphold the performances of past players. These games are never a formality either, Lancaster get more and more hungry every year, which means our performances have to get better and better. I’m yet to meet any spectator that has come to watch our fixtures and not enjoyed it, and with the crowd, and the history involved, these games always have an extra bit of spice.”

Nouse Verdict:
After last year’s sensational rout, anything less than another Roses whitewash will suffice for high-flying UYRUFC. The first XV have had a challenging season in many respects, but with this being their first season in BUCs Premier North B, this was to be expected. However, the team have managed to avoid relegation and are looking to stay in the top BUCs division for a long time. Across the board York are expected to bring home the Roses points here, and if they can do so in anything like the way they did last year then we are in for a real treat. The first XV in particular are a must-see outfit – last year’s match in the stadium was one of the highlights of Roses.