Roses 2014 Preview: Archery

The archery takes place on Sunday morning at this year’s Roses with the White Rose hoping to trump their Lancaster rivals and take as many points as possible

Image: Lily Grant

Image: Lily Grant

Fixtures

Alumni Match: Sunday, 10:00am, Stadium
Senior Team Mixed: Sunday, 10:00am, Stadium
Novice Team Mixed: Sunday, 10:00am, Stadium
Senior Male: Sunday, 10:00am, Stadium
Senior Female: Sunday, 10:00 am, Stadium
Novice Female: Sunday, 10:00am, Stadium
Novice Male: Sunday, 10:00am, Stadium

Points on Offer: 10

2013 Results

Senior Team Mixed: York 1-0 Lancaster
Novice Team Mixed: York 0-1 Lancaster
Senior Male: York 0-1 Lancaster
Senior Female: York 0-1 Lancaster
Novice Female: York 0-1 Lancaster
Novice Male: York 1-0 Lancaster

Dan Clapham – Team Captain

How have the club performed this season?

“In the regional league, we have improved our team standings from fourth to an impressive second this year. Signourney Lee placed first in the experienced female category and Nicholas Fletcher placed third in novice male category.”

What are you expecting from your Roses fixtures?

“We are expecting to beat Lancaster this year. We have beaten them in a league match and placed higher than them in the league this year. We are hoping to send a strong team that can improve on last year’s fixtures.”

Why should people come and watch your matches?

“We are altering this year’s match format to an Olympic style shoot at 50m and 70m, with competitors shooting against each other to increase the pace of the match. It will be a good opportunity to see what archery is all about, and with such a relaxed atmosphere, they can gain a lot of insight into the sport.”

Nouse verdict:

Archery is a fantastic sport. I used to dabble in it as a kid and enjoyed it a lot. I remember it was a tense watch at the London 2012 Olympics and for anyone looking to watch a slightly alternative sport at this year’s Roses then archery could be for you! Judging on this past year’s form, I would back York to take the vast majority of points on offer, Sigourney Lee looks a sure bet to take all of the points on offer in the Senior Female category.