Roses 2014 Preview: Women’s Football

After a comfortable victory over Lancaster last year and another fantastic season, UYWAFC will be confident of earning the points for York at this year’s Roses tournament

Image: Agatha Torrance

Image: Agatha Torrance

Fixtures

Indoor 2nds: Saturday, 9.15am, Sports Centre
Indoor 1sts: Saturday, 10am, Sports Centre
1sts: Sunday, 2pm, Football Pitches

Points on offer: 7

2013 Results

Indoor 2nds: York 3-2 Lancaster
Indoor 1sts: York 5-2 Lancaster
1sts: York 3-1 Lancaster

Ellie Whittaker, UYWAFC 1sts Captain:

How have the club performed so far this season?

“After an incredible season last year in which we won the league with a 100% win record and reached the final of the Northern Conference Cup, we’ve had another great year in BUCS. We were up against some extremely talented teams, and despite losing out in the cup to eventual champions Manchester Met, we had a strong league campaign, finishing 3rd behind Durham and Northumbria.

This year’s Freshers’ intake has been phenomenal, with Anty Cole our leading scorer, and Sophie Jermy being voted player’s player of the year. This added to our already top quality and committed squad has enabled us to become a more technically disciplined team, and we’ve won many plaudits for the way we play.”

What are you expecting from your Roses fixtures?

“After winning all 3 games in Roses 2013, and winning York Sport’s Roses Team of the Year, we’re confident about getting a result against what we expect to be a very strong Lancaster team, who play in the league above us, and have had a successful season.

We have also joined up with UYFC to enter York’s first ever women’s futsal team. Under the guidance of Junior Roberti, we finished 2nd in Northern 1B, and reached the last 16 of the BUCS National Championship. This experience will be invaluable when it comes to our two indoor games, and we’re expecting to have a very successful Saturday morning in the Sports Hall!”

Why should people come and watch your matches?

“I think people watching our games will see a much improved York team from last year, playing attractive football and battling hard to make sure we can take all the points on offer! Last season we were unbeatable, this year we’ve got even better. Roses is only going one way!”

Nouse verdict:

It’s been a fantastic year for women’s football at York, as one of the fastest growing sports on campus. The club is undoubtedly on a high after a stunning promotion campaign in 2012/13 was carried over into this last season. After struggling to adapt in the opening couple of games, UYWAFC really found their feet after promotion and eventually finished in a strong third position in the league. Throughout the season they’ve played attractive football which has delivered some convincing results, and this has been helped by the College league growing stronger this year. In Anty Cole, York have a dangerous goalscorer, and she could be crucial in the outcome of the games. Lancaster are a strong, tough side and will make it difficult for York’s sides, but after winning all of their games in Roses 2013 and on the back of a good BUCS campaign, UYWAFC are very confident of getting results. I wouldn’t bet against the women’s football teams having a very successful tournament again this year.