Roses 2014 Preview: Fencing

Fixtures

Image: Agatha Torrence

Image: Agatha Torrence

Men’s seconds: Saturday 10am, LICA
Women’s firsts: Saturday 12:30pm, LICA
Men’s firsts: Saturday 3pm, LICA
Alumni showcase: Saturday 5:30pm, LICA

Points on offer: 10

2013 results

Women’s firsts: won 135-61
Men’s firsts: lost 116-127
Men’s seconds: won 110-93

Roderick McLean, men’s firsts team captain

How have the club performed so far this season?

“On an individual level our team fencers have performed exceptionally, with several medals being won at national opens by the trio of Hennerberg, Watkins and Korgya. Sadly our women’s team may be relegated from premier league due to our three main fencers being out for most of the season due to being in their final years of university or injury. Our men’s teams have remained comfortably in their respective league tables and are sure cause some surprises in the coming matches.”

What are you expecting from your Roses fixture?

“The men’s team are looking for a win against Lancaster, due to winning an away match against them at the beginning of spring term, and it would be a great success as Lancaster have just been promoted to the Northern Premier League. Our women’s team will hopefully pull out a landslide victory as our three main fencers should be present as the trio of Highton, Hennerberg and Mason return for their final Roses as a group. While our men’s seconds team should be an interesting match due to the Lancaster seconds being a very recent development.”

Why should people come and watch your matches?

“The sport of fencing is an extremely taxing sport due to it being tactical and physical. To watch two anchors (the strongest fencer in each weapon) clash is a marvel to behold and their matches will be crucial turning points in deciding who wins or loses this year’s fencing at Roses. So the more support we have, the stronger we will fight for every point.”

Nouse Verdict

Although York’s fencing sides have’t found their best form in their respective BUCS campaigns, the Black and Gold certainly have good form against our Lancastrian rivals. The men’s firsts team face the toughest test and they will want to wreak revenge for a home defeat at last year’s Roses; in their two meetings in the BUCS league this season, both sides recorded away victories but Lancaster did get promoted to the Northern Premier League. Elsewhere, the men’s seconds aren’t expecting much opposition from Lancaster’s fledgling new seconds side so there should be an easy win there, whilst the women’s team are more than pumped for their match. Expect two out of three wins here at the least, whilst a total whitewash of Lancaster certainly isn’t impossible.