Roses 2014 Preview: American Football

After a disappointing defeat at last year’s Roses. The York Centurions will be out for revenge and will look to post a victory against their biggest rivals

Image: Lily Grant

Image: Lily Grant

Fixtures

1sts: Saturday, 1:00pm, Rugby League Pitch

Points on Offer: 4

2013 Results

1sts: York 20-43 Lancaster

Fred Isaac, American Football Club President:

How have the club performed this season?

“Our club has had a good season considering the aim of the year was to build the club strongly off the field. We have finished the season 4-4 running teams close in every defeat. We have successfully built off the field so expect big things next season.”

What are you expecting from your Roses fixtures?

“Win. Pure and simple, we don’t care how much we win by or how beautifully we play but we expect a win.”

Why should people come and watch your matches?

“It’s not often you get a chance to watch American football in this country so why not take the opportunity now. We are also before the rugby firsts and on a pitch nearby so a good place to start supporting York till late in the evening.”

Nouse verdict:

It was a disappointing defeat for the Centurions last year after a close win in 2012. However, the club has rebuilt this year, getting funding in and setting up training camps. With a large intake of Freshers on defence this year, it will be interesting to see how they tackle their first Roses encounter. Although York might not be strong favourites for this one, they come into this game off the back of a season that had some really positive wins. Hopefully the White Rose can avenge the defeat it suffered last year and come away with all four points.