TV Review: Endeavour Series 2 Episode 4

The finale of Endeavour brought murder, conspiracy and cliffhangers. reviews

Endeavour Series 2  ep 4

So there we have it folks the end of series two and what a finale we had; child abuse and conspiracy were the themes of this week’s episode as Endeavour veered towards the darker side of policing.

It all started innocently enough for our favourite detective; a journalist murdered. Nothing overtly suspicious and then suddenly it got a lot deeper and darker very quickly and when I say quickly, I mean it. A missing child quickly becomes a witness to a horrific crime and murders a plenty. It soon becomes clear that there is a link between the people involved in the case and it’s an old correctional school called Blenheim Vale. It appears that Blenheim Vale may have a lot to hide in terms of a suicide, unexplained departures of boys and abuse.

It seemed that there was an equal amount of suspicious activity going on in the police headquarters this week with the talk of a merger between forces, including Morse’s own Oxford City to form Thames Valley Police, a name synonymous with the later Morse and Lewis stories. However all is not as it seems and quickly a conspiracy comes to the forefront, leaving Thursday and Morse questioning who they can trust. It appears that this conspiracy has been formulating since the start of the series, with many of the elements that I mentioned in the review of episode one now coming into play.

And that was what appeared to me to be particularly effective in this finale; all the story arc elements, some obvious and some not so, that have been gathering over the series finally came into play in this episode. Unlike some other shows on TV at the moment, all these elements seemed to come together in a plausible way the odd behaviour of Jim Strange, the missing pieces of evidence, the masonic link.

The standout performance for me this week, apart from the impressive regular performances (especially Shaun Evans considering Morse’s difficult situation), has to be Jack Laskey and his performance of a tortured DS Jakes. Jakes has been an interesting character to watch through the series, usually full of himself “Neverland” saw a different side to him. A beaten child who still lived with the terrible consequences of a horrific childhood.
It’s been a long time since I encountered a programme on television where I was actively willing the adverts to move more quickly, but this week’s Endeavour was definitely one of these moments. The continuous tension building, followed by advert break after advert break, does not seem to be lost on Twitter where many frustrated users vented over the level of advertisement during Endeavour.

The ending was a masterpiece of drama leaving the viewer suitably confused, angry and desperate for a new episode. Endeavour took a leaf out of the book of Sherlock this week with the ending leaving us fretting over the lives of our favourite characters and hoping that ITV commissions a new series and soon. Now all I need to figure out is what to do with my Sunday nights… Vera?

1. 21 Apr ’14 at 1:27 pm

Maureen Dixon

Terribly disappointed with this latest series of Endeavour, what happened to the lighting most scenes were in the dark we did have electricity in the 60’s

2. 21 Apr ’14 at 2:48 pm

Christine Egerton

Fantastic – well done ITV! Can’t wait for the next series

3. Endeavour,excellent!,excellent!,can’t wait for a new series.

4. 21 Apr ’14 at 9:49 pm

Dorothy Little

Great episode, wonderful series – what more could we ask for where Morse is concerned? What a cliffhanger of a finish though, surely an indication that a further series (or more, hopefully) is planned. Sean makes a fantastic young Morse, can almost see John Thaw there.

5. Not entirely a cliff hanger ending since we already know that Morse’s career saw him rise to Detective Chief Inspector in the Oxford City Division of Thames Valley Police. The real questions are, ‘How was the fact that corrupt officers had attempted to frame him become evident?” and “Was Reg Bright on the side of good despite his incompetence, or was he part of the evil conspiracy?”

6. Wonderful as always not sure about Reg Bright who’s side is he on ?

7. excellent!can,t wait for more of morse? please!

8. Superb. Shaun is a revelation. Best prog on tv. Bereft that it is over

9. I have just discovered Endeavour and what a revelation! I had the memory of John Thaw and thought that no-one could ever play him as a young man. Was I wrong! Shaun Evans is just fantastic and paired with Roger Allam, well it is TV heaven. Along with Anton Lesser, who has the most wonderful voice, I am totally hooked. I usually either record or watch drama on catch up as the ads are totally intrusive and can completely ruin the mood. I have series 1 to catch up with now which will fill in some of the time till series 3….

10. Compelling, fitting to everything that came before. Just brilliant! Shaun Evans… John thaw would be very proud I’m sure!

11. I really hope to see more of Jakes (Jack Laskey) in the next series…really great character and an amazing actor. A really great finale!!!!!!!!!!Can’t wait for the next series!

12. Just managed to see the final episode on catch up. NOT what I was expecting, only because of the John Thaw series do we know that he will be free to Police again! Hopefully Insp Thursday will survive too. Well done ITV.

13. Just in love with this serie! can’t wait for a new season!!! does anyone know if there is any real hope there???

14. Yes – but is it Morse? How does this “back story” tuck into Colin Dexter’s narratives 20 years later? Sure, it’s exciting, beautifully shot and terrifically acted, but it does seem to have wandered into Red Ridings territory. It feels like Russell Lewis has found himself pushed down the Hollywood road – bigger, darker, jeopardy and corruption at every turn – to a point where we can no longer see the germination of the DI who investigated “The Dead Of Jericho”.

15. When is season 3 please say they are making another one!!! This is the best series i have seen in a long time!! Fab drama ITV !! now make a new one quick!!

16. I was a Constable in The Cardiff City Police in the same era as the series was shot and it is great to relive how policing was in those days. No Radio’s, just Police Telephone Boxes which were few and far between, a whistle, truncheon and Shank’s Pony!
    You were literally on your own. The only time you might see someone was if the Patrol Inspector and Sergeant passed in a car.
    What would the present police officers do in those conditions, I wonder?

17. 21 Jul ’14 at 6:46 am

Donnamaie White

OMG OMG OMG I have to wait a YEAR before I know what happens? I was falling off my sofa! Series 3 YES YES YES I am an avid fan of Morse and Lewis and now this series. Fabulous. LOVE IT! (Runs on PBS without commercials so you cannot breathe. Thank heavens for DVDs and DVRs.)

18. Of course, in the U.S., we see Endeavor all in one piece on public television. No commercials, just constant tension building. I often have to rewind the DVR and watch a scene again. This finale episode, I got halfway through then went all the way back to the beginning because I was missing parts.

And so, what now? Thursday hanging in balance, Morse in jail…

Waiting a years seems impossible.

19. I was also terrible disappointed. As an American, I hated the ending. If the corruption is so overwhelming as it appears to be, then Morse would be doomed, sentenced to death, and quickly killed – if not found dead hanging in his cell. Thursday would be killed in the hospital, and no one person would be able to do anything about it. They have already turned good policemen (Strange) into stooges for the DC. I love the character, but I’ll go back and watch Midsomer Murders and Lewis where the characters are the good guys and it’s a British show. The final episodes for Castle and Bones, and now Endeavour, are all repeats of a a bad idea. GET A GRIP!! KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE!!

• love midsomer murders. Even the new guys.

• Sorry, but I think, as a follow American, your mind has been turned to oatmeal by Hollywood and US TV. As a former law enforcement officer I can tell you that collusion among police commanders and gov’t officials is the rule, not the exception. Power and money, money and power. Worst narcotic in the world!

20. To say Endeavour is a special kind of show is like saying that Godzilla is a special kind of lizard, it is an understatement. If I had only one show I could watch, would it be ?Endeavour, Sherlock or George Gently? What a great dilemma.

I believe the upcoming shows will show Bright to be a Masonic member and part of the criminal conspiracy at some level , but as Bright looks at Morse being arrested and dragged away, I believe he will look at himself in the mirror , step forward and do the right thing , what ever that may be.
    Upcoming questions; will Strange and Jakes need to go ? Strange because of his misplaced loyalties and Jakes because of his understandable inaction to assist FT and EM due to Jakes horrible memories of the past? I hope not.

21. 21 Jul ’14 at 10:52 pm

Doreen Harrison

I just love this series! Sean Evans is brilliant and the story lines are always great. I hope there will be a series three next year, I really enjoy the British detective shows. The last one was so sad, Thursday fighting for his life and poor young Morse in jail. It just has to go on!

22. Bummed that both Endeavor and Sherlock series have ended. Just bought all 33 of the Morse episodes. That should tie me over as had been decades since I last saw one.

• Steve,

Have you checked out George Gently as yet ? IMHO, I think it holds it’s own against Endeavour or even Sherlock and it is retro to the 60’s.Also, Inspector Lewis will premier on PBS Oct. 2nd of this year.

23. Karen

Endeavour is back some time this year, thank god! Does anyone know when?

By the way, I saw Shaun Evans at Hampstead Theatre a couple of months ago, and he was bril! – great torso too :-)