TV Review: Hannibal Season 2 Episode 8: ‘Su-Zakana’

“It was my turn to provide the meat.” reviews

Hannibal Season 2 Episode 8 10
Rating: ★★★★☆

NBC’s Hannibal delivered an episode that was on calibre for a season finale last week, which made the expectation for a successor even hard to exceed. ‘Su-Zakana’ fails in this category, but it’s still another fine addition to the episode catalogue which season two has continued to produce.

The opening for ‘Su-Zakana’ features Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) and Jack Crawford (Lawrence Fishburne) bonding over a fishing session. Their relationship is beginning to connect eye to eye on certain views, and the fish metaphor for Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen) adds a superb underlining theme for their regards to the ‘good doctor’. Hannibal’s weakness in this week’s episode is how far it seems to drift away from the central narrative that the past three episodes had exceptionally built. However, they do continue to develop on this – even if it is subtly – and adds for a unique viewing experience.

Hannibal’s expectations for delivering a horrifying death to a particular individual isn’t a hard task for developer Bryan Fuller – seriously, they continue to become even more disturbing than the last. The latest victim is embedded into a horse, which undoubtedly ranks highly among the imaginative deaths that the show has become renowned for. Peter Bernardone (Jeremy Davies) is the newest character added to the Hannibal roster and Davies brings a superb portrayal. Davies brought a unique presence to ABC’s Lost and doesn’t hold back this time either – which he validates by sowing his psychotic social worker into a dead horse.

Dr. Alana Bloom (Caroline Dhavernas) and Hannibal Lecter’s relationship is blooming even more in ‘Su-Zakana’ (pun intended). Alana and Hannibal’s sex scene has the Fight Club-esque of shots and editing, which is an interesting feature applied to Hannibal, but it certainly fits in with the tone of the show. Mads Mikkelsen maintains the serious nature of a character such as Hannibal Lecter but also adds subtle actions which will leaves fans amused: this ranges from petting the lamb at the end of the episode to comforting the psychopath which Will is keen on killing. Additionally, the return to season one’s doctor and patient conversations is a highlight for the show, with it reiterating the perfect combination of Mikkelsen and Dancy’s on-screen chemistry.

During the examination of the victim’s body in morgue, they discover that she has some form of a pulse, which results in a little bird emerging when they open her up. The Starling was another addition that Hannibal has been renowned for in placing references to the films and novels, with the words “You fly back to school now, little Starling. Fly, fly, fly. Fly, fly, fly” starting to float through the head of any Hannibal enthusiast.

‘Su-Zakana’ brings forward an enticing narrative but the momentum for the television show slowed down after last week’s phenomenal spectacle. There were many unanswered questions regarding ‘Futomomo’: did Dr. Frederick Chilton (Raúl Esparza) survive the gunshot wound? Why has Miriam Lass (Anna Chlumsky) disappeared from the narrative after an excellent role in the previous episode? However, these questions are expected to be answered by the end of season two and the final five episodes will have the challenging task of reiterating and reinforcing why Hannibal is currently the best television show.

1. Not to be picky… but the corpse did not have a pulse -one of the examiners confirmed this – they said she had a heartbeat. Totally different.