TV Review: Hannibal Season 2 Episode 6: ‘Futamono’

“The last time someone rang my doorbell this early it was a census taker.” reviews

Hannibal – Season 2

Rating: ★★★★★

NBC’s Hannibal continues to build the momentum in each episode of season two and, in the process, establishing an even more formidable reputation as the best television show currently running. ‘Futamono’ retains the reputation that previous episodes have delivered and creates for an alluring narrative which will leave fans yearning for more.

Will Graham’s (Hugh Dancy) intentions in this week’s episode are established early by convincing Jack Crawford (Lawrence Fishburne) to reconsider his views on Dr. Hannibal Lecter (Mads Mikkelsen). The tempo created from this scene immediately transforms the narrative of ‘Futamono’ and proves how effective it was when Jack asks Hannibal if he has permission to take some of the food from his dinner party back home.

Hannibal’s confrontation with Will’s orderly in ‘Mukozuke’ has him return with a simple but chilling agenda: this is to punish Will for the attempt on his life by doing naughty deeds with his love interest, Dr. Alana Bloom (Caroline Dhavernas). Mikkelsen’s performance is exceptional and exceeds any he has delivered for the show thus far. Lecter’s recipe box returns alongside his ‘wheel of cards’, which hosts the business cards of people he has been acquainted with. Whenever Mikkelsen flicks through these cards it serves for an unnerving atmosphere, especially how he is effectively playing a game of Wheel of Fortune with an unsuspecting victim. Mikkelsen’s performances have remained exceptional across both seasons and it reiterates why he was always the perfect candidate to assume the role of Hannibal following Anthony Hopkins’ portrayal.

Dr. Frederick Chilton (Raúl Esparza) returns for a few scenes in this week’s episode and his presence is always notable. Esparza deserves the recognition for his character and also delivers the renowned phrase that fans have been eagerly awaiting to hear: “Hannibal the Cannibal”. Will features in some excellent scenes with Abel Gideon (Eddie Izzard) and never leaves a moment for the narrative to become tedious. Lecter also shares a few special moments with Gideon and this includes abducting him from the hospital for dinner – oh, and one thing which cannot be forgotten to mention, he even cooks his leg and serves it as the main course for the two of them.

Hannibal’s concluding moments are superb and creates for an interesting twist that many fans would have least expected. Developer Bryan Fuller and his crew are always praised for creating scenes such as this and it’s not a surprise either. With a fantastic conclusion delivered in ‘Futamono’, ‘Fannibals’ will be pondering on how the remaining seven episodes of season two will unfold. Next week’s preview is a sign that season two has nowhere near reached its full potential and leaves fans with an excruciating wait for answers to ‘Futamono’.