Putting the glut in garden glut cake

Emily shares her recipe for courgette, ginger and lime cake

Photo Credit: Emily Collins

Photo Credit: Emily Collins

‘Value for money’ is one of my mother’s favourite phrases. No wonder then, that instead of buying a slice of Courgette, Lime and Ginger Cake for £3.60 in the National Trust tearooms, she drove straight home, found the recipe online and cooked up a whole tray of cake herself.

Having always taken a fancy to baking ‘vegetables out of context’, as Miranda Hart harshly put it on the BBC show Room 101, I was quite excited about trying this recipe out myself. As with courgette cakes I’ve baked in the past, I hoped that this one wouldn’t have to rely on the cream cheese icing to make up for the blandness of the courgette. Happily, I wasn’t disappointed; whilst the courgette provided the moisture expected of vegetable cake, the addition of lime and ginger gave it a light and zingy taste, making it the perfect mid-morning revision snack.

Lyveden Courgette Lime and Ginger Cake

Ingredients:

Cake:
12oz (350g) self raising flour
2 tsp ginger
9oz (250g) caster sugar
3 eggs
6 tbsp sunflower oil
zest of 1 ½ limes, finely grated
juice of 1 lime
9oz courgettes (250g), coarsely grated)
2 tsp baking powder

Topping:

14oz (400g) icing sugar (sifted)
3 Tbsp Lime juice
Rind of ½ lime (finely grated)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180°C. Grease a 9”/20x30cm tray (depending on whether you want to make a layer cake or traybake). Dust with flour and tap out excess.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and ginger into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar with a wooden spoon.
3. Put the eggs, oil, lime zest and juice into a separate bowl and pour over the flour mixture. Stir well until mixed in.
4. Add the grated courgettes, taking care not to overmix. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and level the surface.
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a warm skewer inseted comes out of the cake clean. Transfer onto a wire rack and cool slightly. Turn out the cake onto the wire rack and leave to cool completely.
6. For the topping, combine the icing sugar with the lime juice and zest. Spread over the top of the cake, allowing it to drizzle down the sides. Enjoy!