Constantine College logo actually shows Emperor Hadrian

University pledges to change Constantine college logo as it is revealed that it shows the wrong emperor

The University was left embarrassed today after a History of Art lecturer revealed that the new Constantine College logo actually shows an image of the Emperor Hadrian.

A coin and the Constantine College logo

Photo credit: Reid Goldsborough

“As far as I can see this is definitely Hadrian,” Jane Hawkes, a University lecturer and expert on the Emperor Constantine, said. “It was much more common for Constantine to be depicted without a beard.

“It would have been very easy for the University to consult the History of Art Department.

“I have found one coin that has a bearded profile on it that reputedly dates from the time of Constantine, but it is from the Constantine/Maximian dual-emperor phase (306-312) so it is unclear if the profile is that of Constantine or Maximian… and anyway it looks nothing like this! I suspect the decision was made, somewhere, to farm out the design project to some firm not really specialising in such niceties as getting the portrait right!”

The logo looks remarkably like Emperor Hadrian Photo credit: Calliopejen1

The logo looks remarkably like Emperor Hadrian
Photo credit: Calliopejen1

Kallum Taylor, YUSU President: “Even if you do a quick Google image search it does look more like Hadrian.”

The revelations are particularly embarrassing since Jane Grenville, University Deputy Vice Chancellor, is herself an archaeologist. She commented: “Your expert is quite right. As an archaeologist I should have spotted this when the logo came back from the designers. We shall re-design the logo to feature a more accurate depiction of a beardless Constantine.”

She went on to add: “Many thanks to the vigilant student body. I am proud that they are interested and engaged enough to notice this and confident enough to challenge us.”

Students have also responded to the news.

Helena Parker, an English Literature student said: “Classic York uni trying to get in on a heritage which doesn’t really belong to us and then getting it wrong.”

George Hesselgren, a third year student, said that the mistake “reeks of amateur hour”.

He added: “It reminds me of something stuck up on the front of a frat house, designed by 12-year-olds. It’s not very impressive for a university trying to add prestige to its image.”

1. 1 Apr ’14 at 6:15 pm

Graham Foster

As far as April Fools go, this one’s top notch

2. 1 Apr ’14 at 7:09 pm

Someone who has done their research

Def not an April Fools

3. 1 Apr ’14 at 7:10 pm

Constantine the Great

This logo is absolute rubbish, it should be like a coat of arms!!!!!!!

• What, like Vanbrugh’s?

• Hi, Brian. Thanks for taking the take to puesre the post. I am glad that you did because you bring up some great points. I actually agree with your concerns. I can absolutely see how the video can lead one to think that my premise is that one way is better than the other. Rather, my intention was to challenge some of current thinking as to how church is defined and practiced by presenting another option so that maybe a combination could be considered. If not, at least some discussion can occur just like we are doing now.I am in agreement that it is not about whether churches should gather in cathedrals or if churches should gather in houses. By presenting the model of churches in homes, whether they be house churches or small groups, I was hoping to challenge how people define church . In many of our circles, we can loosely use the term church to define a place where ministry is done. On the other hand, while we can proclaim that the church is a community, or body, of believers who engage in ministry, I wonder if that really translates to our mindsets and behaviors. My hope is that people will begin to see church as community rather than place.I actually think that it is a good balance to gather corporately for celebrations of faith, hope, and love on weekend services. These create worshipful opportunities for the manifest presence of the Holy Ghost to bring supernatural healing and deliverance. However, I also think that this should not be relegated to our large gatherings. This can also happen in our homes, parks, etc. You’re right, each model has its strengths and weaknesses, therefore I reiterate that a combination may be a good option to consider.I also agree that the Edict of Milan afforded certain freedoms and that, in and of itself, it was a positive thing. On the other hand, there is also a tendency in human nature to get a little lax in our missional call. When being a Christian becomes a little more comfortable, or more widely accepted, then we may be prone to be less urgent in our call. My reference to Constantine was more about that, the urgency of our call to make disciples, and not whether there was more corruption or not. Great points. I am not sure if I muddied the waters further, so thanks for pointing them out.~Steve

• Steven: Sorry it has taken a while to get around to your blog. I hope you are enojying blogging and that you’ve found WordPress to be a good host. I am intrigued by the concept of the video, though I worry it could lead to a false dichotomy. I don’t know that we must have either a church in a small house in the neighborhood or a church in a cathedral. It would seem the Kingdom of God is big enough for their to be well established forms (with various strengths and weaknesses) and less established forms (with various strengths and weaknesses). I like what many house churches are doing, but I like what I see some large churches doing as well.One quick note regarding Constantine the Great. The Edict of Milan occurred in February 313 so we are nearing seventeen hundred years. I tend to lean your direction when it comes to Constantine, but I am also quick to remind myself that I have never been a Christian under persecution and it must have been amazing for a Caesar to finally say that as a Christian you could worship in peace. There have been many problems in the church since that decision, but we must not be mistaken to think there was some sort of golden age where the church was pure before corruption. I don’t think that age existed.

4. I’m so glad that Helena Horton was able to make her views on the subject known…

5. 2 Apr ’14 at 5:42 pm

Helena Horton

I didn’t! the logo is shit though

6. No-one asked your opinion, Helena.

I see that as per usual, however, it hasn’t stopped you from giving it.

• Whereas someone specifically asked for yours? Or anyone else’s in this comments section?

• Jewel / Pampering is a necessity! I don’t know how I would fuctnion if I never took me time because daily life can become overwhelming with all that we do for ourself and everybody! I take walks in the parks, get mani-pedi’s, massages, smile at my day before I get out of bed, and lay in the sun. I even take mental health days from work. I think most people self pamper with food versus something that will nourish the soul time for a shift!

7. I know, as if people aren’t only pointing it out to laugh in her face..

8. 4 Apr ’14 at 6:11 pm

Maybe not as stupid as you think?

I don’t think it’s an entirely stupid mistake. My bet’s that it’s actually a depiction of Vetranio… I’d bet the designer saw coins with him on one side, the labara on the other, Chi-Ro and all, and assumed it’s Constantine.

9. 5 Apr ’14 at 4:14 pm

Why so serious?

Can’t everyone just enjoy the absurdity of the silly little situation and get over themselves?

10. 29 May ’14 at 10:19 pm

Jane Grenville

I’m sorry that I’m so incredibly stupid