Man’s body found in River Foss

A man’s body was found in the River Foss earlier on Friday during the search for missing York resident Ben Clarkson

A man’s body was found in the River Foss earlier today during the search for missing York resident Ben Clarkson.

The body was found around 5pm near the entrance of Sainsbury’s on Foss Bank. Parts of Foss Bank and Huntingdon Road were cordoned off by police.

The body has not yet been formally identified but the family of Ben Clarkson have been informed of the discovery.

Clarkson, 22, is a former York St. John student and was last seen in Layerthorpe at around 3.40am on March 2nd.

This comes after the body of Megan Roberts, a Fine Arts undergraduate from York St. John, was found in the River Ouse earlier this month.

The River Ouse Safety Group are urging people out in town at night to stick together when walking home, to prevent avoidable tragedies. A petition on the website i.petitions.com has called for new CCTV cameras to be installed along the River Ouse. So far it has gained over 2000 signatures.

Officials from both York and York St. John universities will be meeting with council members and the police in the coming days to discuss improving river safety.

If you have been affected by this news, contact the Open Door Team on 01904 432140, [email protected], or by visiting their website, or visiting them at the Sally Baldwin Building, Block B (9am–5pm, Monday to Friday).

The Samaritans can be contacted on 08457 90 90 90 and [email protected]