UYBC take Yorkshire Head and Women’s Head of the River by storm

UYBC finished off the spring term in style. The senior women’s team travelled down to the Women’s Head of the River on the Tideway, whilst the senior men’s and both Novice squads stayed in York for the annual Yorkshire head

Image: Boat Club.

Image: Boat Club.

UYBC finished off the spring term in style on Sunday. The senior women’s team travelled down to the Women’s Head of the River on the Tideway, whilst the senior men’s and both Novice squads stayed in York for the annual Yorkshire head.

The 5100m race at Yorkshire Head saw the senior men put off a fantastic effort with the coxed four getting the fastest time for men’s coxed fours. The four was stroked by Lloyd Hughes, with Patrick Somerville-Large, Oliver Degerstedt and Robert Mills following. The crew was coxed by Natalie Smith.

The novice women’s squad’s first eight finished 3rd with an excellent time of 20.03 with the second eight not far behind in 7th. Meanwhile the novice men’s squad lost out to two particularly strong Newcastle University eights – one of which posted the second fastest time of any crew for the day. This put the Novice men’s first eight in 3rd and the second eight in 8th.

Meanwhile, senior women travelled down to the capital for their biggest head race of the year. The high-profile race saw the likes of Olympians Catherine Grainger and Heather Stanning competing.

Image: Boat Club.

Image: Boat Club.

The crew for the race consisted of Ashleigh James at stroke followed by Jennie England, Fran Howes, Steph Clutterbuck, Jessica Munro, Charlotte Price, their captain Natasha Linyard-Tough and Hannah Lyons at Bow. The crew was coxed by Maddi Belsey-Day. Despite a great deal of training before the race, the crew had technical difficulties with a broken rudder on their boat which meant they had to race in a heavyweight men’s boat.

The crew managed to complete the incredibly long 2800m race in a time of 20.37. This put the girls in the top 100 boats of the day as 93rd overall. The girls came 12th out of 49 University crews in intermediate level 3. Captain Natasha Linyard-Tough told Nouse that “it was a tough course race with gut and determination!”

All the Squads will now be attending their respective training camps over the holidays with the Senior Squads training in Henley and the Novice squads flying out to Aviz Portugal.