Detectives appeal for information on sexual assault in York

A woman in her 20s was attacked on Monday morning near Skeldergate Bridge

Detectives are appealing for more information about a serious sexual assault in York city centre on Monday 3rd March.

A woman in her 20s was attacked just after 1.30am on Monday morning. A 23-year-old man has since been arrested and bailed.

The woman was walking home alone from a night out when she was attacked on the steps leading down from Skeldergate Bridge to Tower Gardens. The man was arrested in the Boroughbridge Road area at 12.50pm on Monday.

Detectives were looking for a white man, in his 20s, who was not known to the victim. Police still want to hear from anyone who was in the area, particularly those who regularly uses the riverside path or who have any information on the assault.

Detective Inspector Andrea Kell, of York CID, said: “If you were in the Skeldergate Bridge area around the time of the assault and have not yet contacted the police, I urge to do so straight away, as you may vital information, even it seems insignificant to you, which could help to progress this investigation.

“I am particularly keen to speak to anyone who may have seen a woman trying to flag down vehicles on Skeldergate Bridge shortly after the incident. Again, please do not delay in contacting the police.

“I am also keen to speak to anyone who uses the path which runs alongside the river on a regular basis and ask them to get in touch.”