UYBC make waves in Nottingham

Image: Boat Club

Image: Boat Club

UYBC put on an inspired display in Nottingham at the Head of the Trent race last Sunday despite a severe lack of training due to the floods.

The Senior Men’s Eight were the first up, competing in the first division and came sixth in a highly competitive intermediate level one category amid large crowds that had flocked to the water. The crew suffered from not enough time on the water beforehand, but were fairly satisfied with the result.

The second division saw both the Men’s and Women’s Novice squads take to the water with two crews from each. The Novice Men’s crews secured 7th and 8th place out of 17 crews. The Novice Women’s crews came a 6th and 15th which is again good given the circumstances

Finally, to finish the day off was the Senior Women’s eight. With the squad depleted through injury and illnesses, there were a few last minute changes to the crew. The line-up included Ashleigh James, Jennie England, Fran Howes, Steph Clutterbuck, Jessica Munro, Charlotte Price, Natasha Linyard-Tough and Hannah Lyons, coxed by Verity Jordan. Before the race the crew suffered a further setback after discovering a hole in their boat and as a result they were forced to row in a Men’s boat that they had never used before. However, these setbacks did not seem to faze the crew and they 3rd out of 25 beating local rivals York City. Not only were the girls 3rd in their race but they were the 3rd best female university crew. This looks good for the up and coming Women’s Eight Head of the River Race which is on Saturday 15th March which goes through the centre of London on the Thames.

1. 30 Mar ’14 at 3:41 pm

The lizard King

Rowing makes my thighs big an bulky, not to worry though, I am the Lizard King.

2. 1 Apr ’14 at 10:29 pm

The lizard King

I want to replace the lizard king as the next lizard king

3. 1 Apr ’14 at 10:29 pm

The lizard King

I am the lizard king